Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,212

0 members and 2,212 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,393
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, bananas_momma
  • 10-18-2009, 09:47 AM
    wolfy-hound
    Re: What do you do when your snake dies?
    I've buried some, and thrown some out. Be aware that if you put a snake in the garbage, you should really keep it in the freezer until garbage day, then triple bag it or more. A rotting snake smells really horribly awful and trust me, your garbage men WILL begin avoiding your house like a plague zone.

If you bury a snake, bury it deep, and bury it where roaming dogs will not dig it up. Someone Fido coming home with a 6 ft long python in his mouth, you won't be able to convince people it wasn't an escaped pet, instead of a dead-properly buried one.

The beetles can make a really cool skeleton display, and you can wire it up and glue the ribs on, and it would be way cool. Just be sure you have somewhere to do it, because you don't want the dead snake lying on the coffeetable in the meantime. I have been told that it's best to skin them first, and remove extra tissue to help speed the process, so make sure you aren't too squeemish to do that part.
  • 10-18-2009, 09:59 AM
    RyanF
    wow those are a lot of ways of taking care of past away snakes. im gessing ill probably bury them, i would rather do that than just through it in the trash. I probably wouldnt use the beetles, because after a couple days im sure it would smell a lot.
  • 10-18-2009, 10:10 AM
    SGExotics
    If a snake dies on me i will bring it to a taxidermist and have it stuffed... Not only will it pose as a type of memorial for that snake, but it will also make a cool decoration in the reptile room....
  • 10-18-2009, 11:17 AM
    Corvid
    After a hunting trip once I took a rabbit pelt into the taxidermist and they had snake hides there.
    I was thinking that could be a pretty neat way to take care of your snake after it passes. We spend so much time, energy and love into these guys for their cool morphs and such, why not be able to keep them.
    Since it would be like a piece of leather you could frame it and have a pretty display.
    I have not done it, but when I saw the wild/hunted rattlesnake hides I couldn't help but to think of what a pied would look like....
  • 10-18-2009, 11:27 AM
    lillyorchid
    I've never had a snake death yet. Sadly when that time comes I will more then likely bury mine. I love my snakes and it just doesn't seem right to toss their bodies in a trashbag and let them be taken off to the dump. I've also thought about getting them stuffed. I know my first snake ever, Jinx my corn I'll probably have stuffed or pelted since he is by far my most favorite snake I've ever owned and the one with the best personality for a snake. I've also thought about it for Loopy. I really try not to think about this sort of thing since I hope my snakes live long healthy live. So far, so good.
  • 10-18-2009, 12:49 PM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    well, in about 20 years from now when my oldest snakes start dying I plan to skin them and use the skin for something... either wall art of some sort or maybe even something more functional like they use some snake skins for (belt, boots, wallet, etc.)

Anybody ever know if a BP skin has ever been used to make something like this?
  • 10-18-2009, 10:01 PM
    wuffielover
    I buried my big boa when he died a few months ago (lung tumor, very bizarre...). I would have had him cremated, but the vet said the cremation would be $130, and after already spending more than $600 in vet bills I felt that was just a bit over the top. We put some big concrete blocks over the top of his grave to make sure nothing unearthed him. Smaller things I usually bag and freeze, then into the dumpster on trash day, but for 7+ foot boa I thought that probably wasn't the best plan. I wish I'd thought of the taxidermy idea, though...I know a couple taxidermists and that would have been cool!
  • 10-18-2009, 10:17 PM
    BPHERP
    ...buy another one.
  • 10-23-2009, 10:40 AM
    ER12
    Some I will bury myself. Others I might have preserved and donated to a museum or university for their teaching and research collections.
  • 10-24-2009, 07:41 PM
    CritterVet
    Submit it to a pathologist for a necropsy to find out why it died. This is especially important in the large collection I manage, to protect the living.