Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,173

1 members and 2,172 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,172
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Ro55y5
  • 07-02-2009, 12:34 AM
    Kesslers Kreatures
    Re: POLL: Have you been bit by a BP?
    Funny this thread pops up again, The last couple weeks has not been my week. I have been bit 3 times by 3 different snakes and 2 of them weren't mine lol
  • 07-02-2009, 12:37 AM
    HerpKeeperVA
    I've never been bitten by a ball python, but I'm sure that'll change when I start making babies. I'm already nervous about having to pull my first protective mama off of her clutch of eggs. :P I have been bitten by a corn snake and a 6 ft red tail. The red tail got startled, and the corn snake was my fault, didn't wash my hands after handling a feeder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    As far as bites go, I'd rather all my snakes bite me all at once than one rat get me. :rolleyes:

Agreed! Rodent bites HURT, too, and they like to hang on where as a snake is just strike and go. Been a while since I've been bitten by a rodent, but my boyfriend had a feeder mouse chomp down on the end of his finger and didn't want to let go. OUCH.
  • 07-02-2009, 03:06 AM
    elevenphoenix
    I haven't been bitten *yet* but my BP collection is rapidly growing so I'm sure I will be at some point. Honestly, I kind of just want to get bitten soon so I can get it over with. I don't care about the pain (infinitesimal or not) but I know it will scare the crap out of me.

I have been bitten numerous times by my rambunctious and clumsy American Pit Bull Terrier (during play) in both his puppy and adulthood, so I could care less about pain from a BP. It's just a matter of being startled/uncomfortable for me.
  • 07-02-2009, 03:07 AM
    elevenphoenix
    Oh I also might add that I handle all of my BPs very frequently and like to get them accustomed to handling/being taken out of tubs so I'm sure a bite is in my imminent future.
  • 07-02-2009, 08:36 AM
    TheOtherLeadingBrand
    No, amazingly, still no! We have one that is vicious and strikes at the glass if we walk in the room, two that are moody and sometimes strike, and one that never usually does but has once so I'm unsure of him... and the other 12 are sweethearts. I hold every single one, but I am very cautious with the aggressive/fearful ones. It's not the pain that scares me- it's the startle response I have to sudden movement! ;)

I have been bitten by my BRB (ouch), and nipped by my JCP baby, but that just tickles and is funny. A milksnake my feeder supplier owns chewed me up a couple weeks ago- it was funny, because I hardly even reacted! lol I KNEW he was gonna bite, his body language was obvious.
  • 07-02-2009, 11:08 PM
    HerpKeeperVA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elevenphoenix View Post
    Honestly, I kind of just want to get bitten soon so I can get it over with. I don't care about the pain (infinitesimal or not) but I know it will scare the crap out of me.

Like others have said, it's more shock than pain, really. The bite feels more like a cat scratch if even that bad, and can bleed a bit depending on where you were bitten. They've got tiny, needle-like teeth, and can puncture the skin quite effectively. The bite on my hand hardly bled, but when the red tail bit my arm it bled for several minutes and left a nice mark, lol.
  • 07-03-2009, 04:39 PM
    euphuistical
    I think I have the meanest BP in existance. She hisses every time I enter the room. I've been bit by her maybe 2 or 3 times, and she has struck at me countless times. She is the only one that has bitten me out of spite and not eagerness for food.

I've been bit by another one of my normal females once when I smelled too much like an ASF. And had a similar incident with my female spider.
  • 07-04-2009, 02:08 AM
    Vypyrz
    Went to get my adult males water bowl out. Moved a little too close, too quick and...

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...8/hpim0143.jpg
  • 07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
    syvil
    I was bit days after getting my first BP last week. It was more of a strike then a bite it didn't leave any marks nor did it hurt just startled me. I was changing his half-log hide with a smaller more secure hideout for him. I guess I moved to fast and he struck at me. Oh well it was expected when I decided to get him :snake:
  • 07-21-2009, 03:09 PM
    ssballow
    Maybe Obamacare will cover the family snake!!!:salute: