Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,276

0 members and 1,276 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,216
Threads: 248,623
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Sharon84
  • 12-15-2014, 05:35 PM
    Karokash
    Re: New owner and site member, BP Dehydrated from store.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed12321 View Post
    you may want to try covering even more of the top with aluminum foil. It may not seem like it'll make a huge difference, but the heat from the lamp is going straight down to the water and moist hide. This means that the water is evaporating straight back up, so it'll tough to retain those water molecules. try leaving only a few small holes of uncovered aluminum around the lamp and check your humidity after that sits for a while.

i'll try that but as it is, the only place there isn't foil is pretty much directly around the lamp, i don't want the foil touching the lamp, If I weren't planning on getting a better enclosure soon i'd just try doing some wood or plastic cutting. Just odd how I'm seeing the same setups getting >60% but i'm not even tapping 40%.
  • 12-15-2014, 07:06 PM
    Reed12321
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Karokash View Post
    i'll try that but as it is, the only place there isn't foil is pretty much directly around the lamp, i don't want the foil touching the lamp, If I weren't planning on getting a better enclosure soon i'd just try doing some wood or plastic cutting. Just odd how I'm seeing the same setups getting >60% but i'm not even tapping 40%.

It's okay if the lamp touches it. Aluminum is an insulator so if you heat up, it won't get super hot anywhere other than where the lamp is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 12-17-2014, 10:20 AM
    Karokash
    Can't wait to get internet back at the house so I can upload pictures of his setup. I will be getting the fogger for Christmas and I am going to Home Depot to get a piece of wood cut to lay over the aluminum foil with a hole cut for the lamp. But eventually I'd like to just save for one of the AP T8's. I think they look amazing and the PVC seems to have no issue at all with humidity control.
  • 01-30-2015, 11:21 AM
    pbyeerts
    You can also put a wet washcloth or towel under the foil - that helps a lot. I also have a few Dixie cups with sphagnum moss lying around her enclosure.
  • 02-07-2015, 02:43 AM
    Karokash
    Alright so just went for it and got the fogger. For $50 it's worth the fix until I can save up for the T8. I have it on an intermittent 30 minute at a time auto-timer, and within an hour his humidity is now resting in the high 50's-low 60's. I am ecstatic. It did drop his temps a bit so I added another small lamp until I can pick up a slightly higher powered ceramic bulb. But i'm so happy to see those humidity numbers. Now hopefully he can get his sheds in control and start feeling better.
  • 02-07-2015, 03:19 AM
    Atrox
    That's great to hear! :)

If you didn't notice, by the way, your signature still says Kaa is unsexed yet you're referring to Kaa as a male. Has Kaa been sexed since and you haven't updated your signature yet? Or are you just assuming Kaa is male?
  • 02-09-2015, 04:40 AM
    Karokash
    I have yet to get him sexed as I haven't had time to just run to the vet for it. I am referring to him as male just because I am hoping he is. If he turns out to be a she, I'm not going to change the name. So here's to hoping.

Also, here's the video of one of his feeds for those who I said I'd upload it for. He prefers to strike them out of the air for some reason, He won't strike them at all if I keep them on the ground, haha. He likes to be dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1p5rQT2_IE
  • 02-09-2015, 01:12 PM
    Spoons
    Says the video is private. We can't see it.
  • 02-10-2015, 07:27 AM
    Karokash
    Thanks, fixing that now

i'm new to the whole posting videos thing, so it may take me a few tries. Apologies in advance, but it should be good to go.

I tried two times to trim some of the downtime out of the video...but I can't figure out youtube's editing interface.
  • 02-10-2015, 06:41 PM
    Reed12321
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Karokash View Post
    Thanks, fixing that now

i'm new to the whole posting videos thing, so it may take me a few tries. Apologies in advance, but it should be good to go.

I tried two times to trim some of the downtime out of the video...but I can't figure out youtube's editing interface.

The video works. You may want to upgrade to feeding him something a bit bigger. If that is an adult mouse, he may do better with weanling rats (Unless you're feeding multiple mice at a time)