Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,204

2 members and 1,202 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,218
Threads: 248,626
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Pmcclanahan1

Big News Coming Tomorrow!

Printable View

• 07-07-2013, 03:14 PM
    Jake Milbradt
    Re: Big News Coming Tomorrow!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean : EbN View Post
    Jake,

Sorry for confusion... only the snake in the second photo is a Desert. IF the top photo animal actually looks that good and it wasn't a poorly colored/lit photo it is a great looking Citrus Pastel but certainly not Desert.

Sean,

The snake in the first photo (the one you said is certainly not a desrt) is the animal that laid the clutch. The snake in the second photo was a pastel desert clutchmate that Amir posted. Here are the original posts from this thread with the photos in question:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Witchbane View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by amir View Post
    Joseph,
    Congrats on the clutch
    I remember the animal you bought and it was one of 1.3 Citrus Deserts produced from a Desert male to a Super Citrus/Pastel female
    There are 2 other girls out there so hopefully someone else can back your results in the near future.
    I looked for baby pics and this one is all I could find of a sib
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ballpyt...ment.aspx.jpeg
    People should and will have to wait till next season to breed Deserts and by then all of these questions will be answered.
    If it is of any importance, I do have 8.22 adult Deserts and Desert combos so you may not be the only one looking for answers.

And here's a thread that the OP made a while back with an updated photo of the snake that laid the clutch:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ection-Update-)
  • 07-07-2013, 03:16 PM
    Jake Milbradt
    Oh, and just for the record, I have no idea if that's a desert or not. lol
  • 07-07-2013, 03:17 PM
    Mike41793
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean : EbN View Post
    Jake,

Sorry for confusion... only the snake in the second photo is a Desert. IF the top photo animal actually looks that good and it wasn't a poorly colored/lit photo it is a great looking Citrus Pastel but certainly not Desert.

The one in the first photo is the OP's female "citrus pastel desert" as a baby...

EDIT: looks like we're on the same page after all, sean! Haha :p
  • 07-07-2013, 03:18 PM
    MarkS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Jayne View Post
    Incredible odds really. Having said that I have had several big 10 - 12 egg clutches produce only one morph when my odds were 50% on each egg. Just now I am hatching an 8 egg clutch of pied het albino x albino and I only produced 1 albino. :tears:

I feel your pain, I've got a clutch hatching now of Albino X het albino. Seven eggs, one albino. Hmm, maybe I should demand my money back ;)
  • 07-07-2013, 03:19 PM
    Mike41793
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Mike how many animals have bred over the years? Never missed on odds? Ever had a clutch of normal hatching? If you never did, you are either VERY lucky or have not produced enough clutches.

I haven't hatched a single clutch (expecting my first one this year) I'm strictly speaking mathematically. You cannot argue with the math of it. I do realize people miss odds all the time.

EDIT: I do realize people miss odds all the time. You guys are pulling out these examples but out of ALL the clutches you've hatched, im sure the odds were overall better for you all.
  • 07-07-2013, 03:31 PM
    Mephibosheth1
    Unfortunately math and the real world don't always jive; theoretical versus actual yield \o/
  • 07-07-2013, 03:34 PM
    Mike41793
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephibosheth1 View Post
    Unfortunately math and the real world don't always jive; theoretical versus actual yield \o/

No, I get that. I'm just trying to throw out the odds early on so when that female lays no deserts everyone is gunna try and say "oh well they just missed the odds". Those are some pretty heavy odds to argue against though. :p
  • 07-07-2013, 03:49 PM
    Sean : EbN
    Ok... I'm not going to quote someone in this post just trying to get it straight with MY opinion...

This animal is confusing I NOW REALIZE that this is the snake in the OP that has laid the eggs. There are a few things about this snake that make me a bit concerned... The pattern being heavily keyholed. The color on the sides where the yellow of the sides goes into the dorsal, it is a bit dirty and on a Desert that is so small it should be very clean. Lastly the eye stripe at the back of the head is blurry whereas on most Deserts the eye stripe is very defined, looks like it was drawn on with a pencil. Again I thought the OTHER photo was the OP's snake as a hatchling not this one. To say that this animal is a Desert is tough!
    http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...IMG_1987-1.jpg

This is definitely a Pastel Desert! It looks soft and crisp at the same time with not that much keyholeing in the pattern. This looks like the link photos I posted a couple of pages ago. ALSO I thought that this was a photo of the OP exact female. I didn't bother to match up the patterns since I have been referring to this photo this whole time. I now realize that this was a sibling to the OP's female.
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ballpyt...ment.aspx.jpeg

This animal is one of our DEFINITE Pastel Deserts Note the stuff I mentioned above... Pattern, transitional side color and eye stripe.
    http://www.exoticsbynature.com/image...01/final/3.jpg

We can't say for sure until it's eggs hatch LMAO Mike... what a whirlwind of confusion! I still have my same strong feelings about the other guy saying that I chimed in as part of the "desert market support" because that's BS I am happy to eat a little crap over the confusion but again... I didn't think the snake in the top photo was the OP animal but an animal that was being thought of as a Citrus Pastel. Thank you to Jake for trying to clear up his confusion of my post about the photos because it helped me find my own accidental confusion of the photos.

If any of that made any sense (I hope it did)
  • 07-07-2013, 04:02 PM
    Mike41793
    Sean,

No need to eat crap over anything. Simple misunderstanding. I'm happy you can see what I was saying now though. I read what you said about deserts and really analyzed it, since like i said, i don't have experience with the gene. But when i was comparing the two snakes side by side, it wasn't adding up. From what the OP said, these two snakes are siblings from the same clutch that amir hatched:
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/hypuze9y.jpg
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/2y7unuve.jpg

The first one, I agree, DOES have desert in it. The second one, the OP's snake, just looks like a citrus pastel to me. Especially for being clutchmates, they look very different to me. This is why I asked the OP for baby pics. I'm wondering if Brant misunderstood the same thing and if his opinion would change?
  • 07-07-2013, 04:06 PM
    Family Reptiles
    This is Mike from Family Reptiles here in Lakeland, FL. Congratulations on your Desert clutch. Scott and Elizabeth, the owners of Family Reptiles, also have a viable clutch of eggs from a Desert female currently in the incubator and it is due to pip in a couple weeks. We also know of a few other breeders that have viable desert clutches and we are all trying to compare notes as to what factors may have been involved in the success. If you are willing, Scott would love to chat.