Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,016

1 members and 2,015 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,393
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, bananas_momma
  • 02-17-2020, 04:38 PM
    Bogertophis
    Re: My Corn collection (pic heavy)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lew-e View Post
    After 20 years of my corn I never knew they would take eggs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me neither, especially since they don't have quite the same adaptation as the official "egg-eating snakes", though I know that hungry gopher snakes have been known to
    swipe chicken eggs from chickens...:D I just don't know how well they digest them?

Do corn snakes digest the shells too, or do they find a way to crack & hack them up? And what kind of eggs are those, by the way? Quail?

Alas, I've been "depriving" my corn snakes...
  • 02-18-2020, 08:35 AM
    67temp
    Around here big black rat snakes love chicken coops. They eat the egg and the mice that eat the feed. I've heard of corns spending a lot of time in trees so I figured they might be raiding the nests of small birds. most of my snakes also love chicks and quail so I figured eggs aren't that far off and worth the try.

Three of my corns and a king all took eggs on their first attempt. Two others ate them on the second attempt when I put the eggs in a pile with f/t hatchlings. I'll test more of my corns when breeding season passes.

These are eggs from button quail that I breed. I also have and abundance of coturnix and chicken eggs I'm going to try on larger snakes like the retics. Once the egg got several inches down (about an inch past the last photo) there was a very audible crunching sound as the egg broke. It looks like maybe half the shell got digested and half expelled in her waste.
  • 02-18-2020, 02:56 PM
    lew-e
    After making it through this whole thread I am 100% rethinking my plans of a BP or possible Boa. My wife likes the more colorful snakes and I think corns are about as colorful as they get! Maybe get another corn. Diablo has gone 20+ for me so far, so another one would take me quite a ways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-28-2020, 01:48 PM
    67temp
  • 02-28-2020, 01:52 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    You have some of the coolest corns I've ever seen 67T.
  • 02-28-2020, 01:58 PM
    67temp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    You have some of the coolest corns I've ever seen 67T.

Thank you El-ziggy!

My prior post is now edited because taptalk didn't upload all the pics.
  • 02-28-2020, 02:34 PM
    richardhind1972
    Some fantastic looking corns

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
  • 02-28-2020, 02:45 PM
    Bogertophis
    Overall, I think corn snakes are the BEST pet snakes...besides their colorful beauty, they're SO much easier to keep & care for...they eat year-round, need far less heat
    in their cage, & make great display animals too since they enjoy & use their branches. Combine that with a docile nature: they can be defensive as tiny hatchlings,
    but their teeth are too small to feel, & then by the time they are big enough to even FEEL their teeth, they're generally calm pets. I like their curious nature too. :snake:

And 67temp, your collection is truly AMAZING! Thanks for sharing & causing so much snake-envy. :D
  • 02-28-2020, 03:55 PM
    67temp
    Of the 9 snake species I keep I would have to say the corns are the most stress frees ones. Followed very closely in second place by the African house snakes.
  • 02-28-2020, 04:55 PM
    303_enfield
    When is the show your doing in MD? Need to bring the kids for another small pet.:snake: