Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,272

1 members and 1,271 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,222
Threads: 248,631
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Langdon

Bad shed? No problem.

Printable View

• 02-14-2011, 11:54 PM
    wvampslayer
    Re: Bad shed? No problem.
    This is an excellent technique!! Brillant in fact. Thank you for sharing this information. :gj:
  • 04-06-2011, 12:28 PM
    Pyth
    Please reply,

Is it important for her to shed 100%?

My pet python has a pretty small area by her head which she hasn't shed, maybe 4%, since I got her.

Thank you very much.
  • 04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
    dr del
    Hi,

It's best if all the shed skin is removed but it is only really important if it encircles the body - this is most commonly seen at the tail tip.

The reason that is bad is that, as it dries out, it shrinks and can cut off the blood supply to the area.

It can also harbour dirt and such around the edges which can occasionally let an infection get hold.

I always prefer to remove any stuck shed but, as long as the snake eats and it isn't causing any of the problems mentioned above, it should be fine to leave it until the next shed - but make sure you get the humidity etc right for that one as multiple layers is something I just wouldn't leave at all.

dr del
  • 04-06-2011, 03:52 PM
    Pyth
    Thanks a lot, D. I used the technique in the original topic. She's now 100% shed.
  • 07-24-2011, 01:56 PM
    tdharris70
    Wow awesome worked great even for a newbie like me it was easy thanks a bunch.....

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
  • 08-23-2011, 11:07 PM
    Brion99
    Worked perfectly on the first try. Thx so much.
  • 10-09-2011, 03:17 AM
    kizzy
    so my young bp started shedding today and so far its a poor shed. Should i do this procedure within the first day, or give it a day or two and see how it goes?
  • 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM
    Lisa Snodgrass
    thank you
    this is my 1st bp and she is great but also having a bad shed someone told me to read your post so i did i am ganna try this tonight and hope for the best thank you!!!:P
  • 12-13-2011, 03:16 AM
    che
    Hey Guys.
    So my adult female has had a bad shed 2 weeks ago.
    Cage details: Wooden cage with glass front. 2 plastic hides. large water bowl. Newspaper substrate. 65% humidity.

This is the first time it has happened and is very bad! I am stressing.
    On her belly there are a few patches (each about 6cm) with stuck shed. I have soaked her numerous times like in this post but it wont seem to come of. Only a few Very very small pieces flake of. The scales seem slightly discoloured where the stuck shed is but seems fine once the bad shed flakes of (in those few spots where it does flake of).

She sits in her water bowl alot of the day so i guess it is bothering her as well.

Is it ok to leave the balance of the stuck shed till her next shed? And should i offer her food as usual? I have not attempted a feed yet since her bad shed.

All assistance is appreciated.
  • 12-13-2011, 01:59 PM
    dr del
    Hi,

Are you using a towel to help remove the shed after the soak?

dr del