Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,227

2 members and 2,225 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
  • 01-18-2010, 10:24 PM
    Punkymom
    Re: How Frequently Do You Feed Your BPs?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vilenica View Post
    I've always fed my snakes live prey for the simple reason that nature intended it that way. Heaven forbid one of my snakes get loose to nature and be used to feeding on dead rodents. I know that if one of my pets get reintroduced to nature it may have a chance to thrive by feeding on live prey. I feel that giving dead prey is parallel to having a feline declawed (wrong). Many people disagree and may say that they dont need to hunt but I believe that good husbandry includes conditioning to as similar to nature as possible and not to your convenience.

I can almost guarantee you that if your snake got out it would recognize a live rodent as prey. Remember snakes are mainly instinctual animals. They aren't like some other types of pets that wouldn't know how to find food if they got loose. Besides that, most climates are not ideal for bp's and it probably would die from getting too cold before it died from not eating.
  • 01-18-2010, 10:50 PM
    herper55
    1 time a week/7days
  • 02-21-2010, 10:52 PM
    bad-one
    My adult normal guy gets food every 14 days and maintains the perfect weight, otherwise he gets too fat. :rolleyes:

Everyone else so far is on a 7 day schedule.
  • 03-15-2010, 10:31 PM
    rockhardchick666
    So, my BP the first time taking a rat pounced the whole hide over the rat before i was ready to wiggle it infront of his hide... reasonably so since the owner couldn't remember the last time he fed him. I was impressed that he took a rat within the first week of being with me, all the moving and the tank changes I had to make.

But since then he kinda gnaws at the rat for a while, tosses it around and then eats it. No hunting. Just kinda sniffs it and plays. So it's a bad thing?
  • 03-16-2010, 01:32 AM
    king216
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn View Post
    i'm going to have to agree with robin. I feed live, but not for my entertainment. In fact, once i'm sure everything's ok, i shut the lights off and let my snakes eat in privacy.

i make sure i watch my snakes until the rodent is dead. Just to make sure they dont harm my snake
  • 03-16-2010, 01:41 AM
    twan
    I feed every 7 to 10 days.:8:
  • 03-20-2010, 09:42 PM
    Mrgbb
    my bp hasnt eaten yet=[ so i couldnt vote!
  • 05-02-2010, 02:10 PM
    BallsUnlimited
    once a week off breeding season unless i have a girl im trying to get a lil heavier and twice a week during breeding season. 3 days in 3 days out with a male\female if they eat while on break awesome so that works out to 2 days a week as well.
  • 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM
    kilabyte
    1 adult mouse live every 7 days unless she is in the blue.. then I wait until after her shed is completely done. Today was feeding day and she actually had a problem. She struck & missed first then on her second atempt this fiesty mouse broke free from her grip. I don't think her mouth grabbed it and it slid out of her coils. She then spent the next hour or so just stalking the mouse but refused to strike again. She seemed very hesitent. I think the mouses movement freaked her out & she was afraid to miss again & got frustrated. I then took the mouse & turned into prekill (gased). I danced the mouse in front of her & she finally struck. She is now chowing down.
  • 06-13-2010, 05:02 PM
    DJ_Bizarre
    I hear that some people feed BPs under 500g every 3 days, isnt that too much?