Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,566

1 members and 1,565 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons

Price drops

Printable View

• 09-06-2009, 10:39 PM
    Foschi Exotic Serpents
    Re: Price drops
    This thread only went slightly "off-topic" and only for a short time.. There really was no bashing (as of yet). To keep it that way it needs to stay at a point where people are expressing their opinions and concerns about prices of herps going down dramatically in the last year.. Since there are many reasons why this could be happening. Different reasons for everyone. Every opinion and concern has (for the most part) stayed on-topic. In this (may i remind you) off-topic cafe.

I dont bash him for offering animals at such low prices. Considering his reasons.. Hopefully it will only give other breeders a chance to increase their collections and breeding options. Spiders make great combos and their potential is not fully known as of yet..
  • 09-06-2009, 10:42 PM
    Oxylepy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    Oh come on. Do you believe everyone so stupid that they can't read something, comprehend it and make an informed decision about intent?

No I believe that is exactly what people do, and intent comes off different ways to different people. A minor change in how a sentence is stated turns it into outright hostility. Again your statement was only minorly aggressive, but it did single someone out, and the thread was working in a very negative direction.
  • 09-06-2009, 10:46 PM
    nixer
    actually i have seen it a hundred times someone lowers their price then some ppl get uptite about it and then you always have that person that says what if they are sick or whatever and it goes from there. cant we just accept that we cant buy at 100$ and charge 1000$ for anything? NO i have seen these same arguments at shows between big guys and little guys then the flaming and badmouthing starts from there and lucky this didnt progress to that and that was because it was taken off topic
  • 09-06-2009, 10:57 PM
    rabernet
    Since no one is listening to a Super Moderator's polite request to start a new thread, I am locking the thread temporarily to split the off topic posts into their own threads.

You may not agree with what one of the staff requests, but when the staff makes a polite request, don't thumb your nose at them.
  • 09-06-2009, 11:11 PM
    rabernet
    Thread is re-opened. Any off topic posts in this thread, after a mod has asked for them to cease will be deleted without notice.

The off topic split can be found here: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101400
  • 09-07-2009, 03:21 PM
    Blue Apple Herps
    Animals are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Between the economy being poor, I also think we're seeing deflation, especially with bps.

Prices have been steadily falling for some time now. I think there are probably some who are holding out on buying waiting for the price to come down even more. I know I am, I've been wanting a caramel for a while - not to breed, just to have one in my collection. I'm in no rush to get one, and I'll probably hold out until they're in the $500 range in a year or two. So there may be other people out there like me in a similar situation.

And there is also supply and demand. There are A LOT more spiders being produced right now. Lots of supply, not as much demand. I'd wager that most/many hobbyist breeders already have a spider or two and since there's no homozygous super, no point in really having more than a couple. And once most hobbyists have a spider (or any other morph that's in question), then next up are people who want them for pets.

I can see both sides of it. But at the same time, sometimes life is life and for whatever reason if snakes need to be moved ASAP, then you're going to do what it takes to move them out.
  • 09-07-2009, 04:14 PM
    Foschi Exotic Serpents
    It seems like prices are only falling "online".. Those breeders who do not own their own store front, have a table at a regular, or especially once a year show, seem to be the ones sellling for so low.. Or the "hermit" breeders who trust no one & are afriad to come out of their house. (I know of a couple of these).. Even if you look at sites like ks.com or fauna, the exact same snakes are selling for very different prices.

I believe alot of it IS based on that persons financial situation right now OR the quality is low.. I believe location has alot to do with it as well..

The spider im holding in my profile pic is going for $400.00 as a yearling breeder male. If i do not buy him and only use him as a breeder but then give him back, he WILL sell for that amount.. My local breeder friends have not had many issues with selling their animals. The only financial issue they are having right now is on supplies and equipment since people are buying more of that online or at places like petco.. Which surprisingly enough, in my area seems to have lowered their prices on reptile supplies to match what my friends store sells them for..

I truly do think prices will at least stablize if not go back up. The new breeders need to expand their breeding plans and stop overproducing the same snakes once or twice a year. That in itself would help greatly.
  • 09-07-2009, 04:47 PM
    monk90222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigess View Post
    I truly do think prices will at least stablize if not go back up. The new breeders need to expand their breeding plans and stop overproducing the same snakes once or twice a year. That in itself would help greatly.

I agree. The market is flooded with low quality co-doms.
  • 09-07-2009, 05:18 PM
    Foschi Exotic Serpents
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monk90222 View Post
    I agree. The market is flooded with low quality co-doms.

Exactly why im getting the morphs im getting... To make combos.. dom/co-dom & recessive combos. Not just a bunch of co-doms that will not be worth much.
  • 09-07-2009, 08:28 PM
    Blue Apple Herps
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigess View Post
    I
    I truly do think prices will at least stablize if not go back up.

I think they'll stabilize. But prices won't go back up. Sure a really top notch pastel will still fetch some money, but on the whole, they're down here to say.

Quote:

The new breeders need to expand their breeding plans and stop overproducing the same snakes once or twice a year. That in itself would help greatly.
    And that's the catch-22. Many breeders can't afford new projects until they drop a lot in price. But by the time they can afford them and in a few years produce them, then often that morph is already in abundance.