Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,424

3 members and 1,421 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,222
Threads: 248,632
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Langdon
  • 04-06-2016, 08:24 PM
    bcr229
    He can be kept humid and clean, you just have to be scrupulous about disinfecting his enclosure when he makes a mess.
  • 04-06-2016, 09:16 PM
    Yodawagon
    He's going to be pretty scarred up after this ordeal.
  • 04-06-2016, 11:30 PM
    Coluber42
    He'll have scars, but those will be scars of survival, and well earned. Keep us posted, and keep up the good work!
  • 04-06-2016, 11:34 PM
    Izzys Keeper
    Re: EMERGENCY | My Ball Python's Scales Just Split
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECechoHO View Post
    *****VERY SAD***** but for me i would treat MY situation like this:: let mother nature take over.. I would get the cleanest area i can find and keep him in there and let mother nature take it....(but that's just me<---lol)

So keep a snake in an artificial enclosure but when something goes bad let mother nature take over? If your dog broke it's leg would you let mother nature take over and let it stay in pain? This is a ridiculous post. Seems to be the norm from you

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
  • 04-07-2016, 09:01 AM
    Nixon
    I cleaned out his tank and I still have paper towels as the bedding and I'll spray it regularly. I'll spray him lightly with the bottle to get him some moisture on him. I was instructed to keep him dry but I guess that was only before we started giving him anti-biotics. Thanks, everyone.

I still love how people go after that guy. I was a bit taken aback when he was one of the first posters and it was something as terrible as that. My mom had said something similar to that as she thought 'it was his time' but we have to go through life not believing what some people say. He's ten years old, a normal ball python would have more than thirty more years. He's not going this young when he's been fighting for that long. But, even if he had to go that doesn't mean we don't fight. It's the right thing to take care of a sick animal that is in your possession. If he was a wild snake then it's not my duty to help him but he is my snake and I have to take care of him. No amount of people like that guy is going to stop me.

They had said in a later post that none of their snakes have gotten sick and they're lucky for that because from the sounds of it - he would let them suffer.

Dave is getting stronger by the day and is still eating good. His gashes are on the process of healing and it's only a matter of a long time until his scales can reform. If I had taken their advice from the beginning then Dave would be worse. He wouldn't heal. But since we as a whole care for the health of our animals and are willing to help them then he is going to get the life he deserves. Dave deserves some years of relaxation and relief that he had found people out there who care for him and will do their best to get him to be healthy ball python. I know he dreams of a day where you can't feel his ribs unless you tried real hard. He deserves the rest of my life living in a sanctuary where he doesn't have to worry or struggle. After ten years of battling this is what he needs. Letting mother nature take him is like telling him to give up and there's one thing I learned from Dave - he does not give up.
  • 04-07-2016, 09:56 AM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
    I was instructed to keep him dry but I guess that was only before we started giving him anti-biotics.

You can keep his wounds dry to inhibit the growth of bacteria while still keeping his environment humid and him hydrated.
  • 04-07-2016, 07:57 PM
    wolfy-hound
    I agree, keep the enclosure humid but don't spray him. Wounds heal best when they are clean and dry.

I'm glad that he's hanging in there. You should be aware that there is a possibility of long term damage or even a sudden death at some point due to unseen damage to his organs. This doesn't mean giving up on him, but knowing that you're doing everything you can to heal him up but it might not be enough and that wouldn't be your fault!

I hope he heals up and don't sweat the scars. BPs are gangbusters at losing even horrific scars over time. Every time they shed, they lose a bit more of the scar until you won't be able to tell.
  • 04-08-2016, 10:11 AM
    Nixon
    I'm doing so. Sadly, paper towels are not the best for moisture. I'll use damn clothes on top of the cage and tinfoil to keep the humidity in.

I know that. He's been fighting for a long time and I'm sure he's taken damage on the inside. Snakes are very good at hiding diseases. He's eating, he's breathing okay, he overall acts like he's healthy if you count out the fact that he's underweight and has spontaneous rupture of the skin. But, with that, Dave is still gaining weight. I've been checking his weight every couple of weeks and he's gained weight even after we've found this disease. So, if there is something going on internally then that's impossible to find figure out by looking. He's showing a lot of signs of being healthy. Which is a good sign because he's healing but he's so durable and he acts like nothing is wrong so there's going to be a lot of hiding with him.
  • 04-08-2016, 10:30 AM
    ItsAllNew2Me!
    This is an Amazing story!! So much love and care you have given to Dave! You both are amazing and I wish Dave a speedy recovery. Stay positive and caring and things will definitely go well for you in life. :gj:
  • 04-14-2016, 02:06 PM
    Nixon
    For those who are wanting an update for Dave:

I don't know if I already posted about it but we finished off Dave's Vitamin C shots. I still give him vitamins with his food and he's still eating good. All of his gashes have scabs on them but as he slithers around and possibly rubs against thing, they peel off a bit but they're still staying on. I'm also just about out of antibiotic cream and it says that it's only supposed to be applied for about 30 days so I think that'll be the only tube. He's going for a check-up today and we'll see what the doctor says.

I am also taking a damp rag and trying to wet the area around his gashes where it is super dry so I can hydrate it a bit better. I'm being careful not to get moisture in his exposed skin but his scales are so dry and cracked that I don't think humidity will be good enough, especially with a paper material meant for cages being the bedding.

I'll note everyone on how the appointment goes.