Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,762

0 members and 1,762 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,393
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, bananas_momma
  • 11-23-2014, 11:57 PM
    Karokash
    Re: New owner and site member, BP Dehydrated from store.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    While you are chilling out...and if you have $165 burning a hole in you pocket, may I suggest you buy/rent/steal:

Health and Welfare of Captive Reptiles
    Clifford Warwick, F.L. Frye, J.B. Murphy

Covers a lot of ground with regards to many subjects, but really touches on how to reduce stress in captive reptiles.

It seems to be a pretty thorough resource with a bunch of relative knowledge so I think it would be worth trying to get the money together. Thank you for the suggestion. I'd like to have as many resources as possible.
  • 11-23-2014, 11:58 PM
    Karokash
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed12321 View Post
    Something you may want to consider is that perhaps he feels vulnerable. Snakes hide all the time so if you have an all glass tank, it may make him feel very exposed. Something I did to make my snake feel more hidden is put window tints on the outside of the tank. Here's a picture:
    https://38.media.tumblr.com/9645f57e...0dbo1_1280.jpg

That picture shows the sides and back of the tank. I didn't tint the front of the tank so that way I could see the dials and such. I've done this to 2 tanks so far and I think it looks bad ass. It also doesn't let a lot of excess light out so it can keep the temps higher.

Ive added white paper to all sides of the tank save the front temporarily until I find some poster background I like the look of, But it does block his view so he doesn't seem so exposed.
  • 11-24-2014, 12:04 AM
    Karokash
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jtomb1510 View Post
    I just read this whole thread and I agree that you need to take a deep breath. It's good that you are this concerned with your snakes well being, but you're going to have a heart attack lol....

...Just breathe and have fun man. Cheers!

Thank you for that. I know I got way to intense. I'm just carrying over the stress the death of my last snake caused to this one. It's made me paranoid and overly cautious. I am attempting another feed tomorrow evening. I'm pretty sure the fuzzies i'm buying are rats and not mice but i'll double check again. I'm not sure he is big enough for furries just yet. I too think he is most likely underweight and petsmart is notorious for underfeeding (as well as apparently being completely unknowledgeable about their animals.) But I will be adding the hair dryer final step as it seems to increase their hunger and tendency to strike.

side note: in hindsight, I think you're right about the defensive strike thing as I had just changed his bedding and added a new hide earlier that morning.

Thanks again for the encouragement.
  • 11-24-2014, 01:39 AM
    Karokash
    Found that book online at one place for $133, so it's now the only thing on my Christmas list.
  • 11-24-2014, 10:41 AM
    Reed12321
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Karokash View Post
    Ive added white paper to all sides of the tank save the front temporarily until I find some poster background I like the look of, But it does block his view so he doesn't seem so exposed.

I liked the window tint because it actually adheres to the glass. Unfortunately, 3 days after completing that window tint job, the glass cracked on the front of the tank so I had to toss the tank. Also, my albino had mites so since that tank was cracked, it was just way easier to toss. One of my friends who is a breeder sold me the same size tank with a heat pad and a hide for $20.
  • 11-24-2014, 10:49 AM
    Karokash
    Grats on the new deal.

And I just weighed Kaa for the first time since I got him and, although i'm sure it's still just me freaking out, he's only weighing in at 77g...I have no idea how old he actually is but that sounds extremely low to me.I'm attempting another feeding tonight and I'm praying to everything I know that he takes it; if he does i'll start feeding him every 5 days and record his weight change. Still working on this shed too but please someone tell me I don't have to be scared of this weight reading.

I apologize for the necessity of all these reassurances.
  • 11-24-2014, 01:39 PM
    200xth
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Karokash View Post
    Grats on the new deal.

And I just weighed Kaa for the first time since I got him and, although i'm sure it's still just me freaking out, he's only weighing in at 77g...I have no idea how old he actually is but that sounds extremely low to me.I'm attempting another feeding tonight and I'm praying to everything I know that he takes it; if he does i'll start feeding him every 5 days and record his weight change. Still working on this shed too but please someone tell me I don't have to be scared of this weight reading.

I apologize for the necessity of all these reassurances.

If he's 77 grams and you have no idea when he last ate, I would think you are going to have to start considering live food in the near future.
  • 11-24-2014, 06:15 PM
    Karokash
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    If he's 77 grams and you have no idea when he last ate, I would think you are going to have to start considering live food in the near future.

Trust me i'd prefer to feed live, but the nearest place that sells live is an hour away. And he isn't big enough to eat the furries that the pet store sells as pets...
  • 11-24-2014, 06:20 PM
    calmolly1
    I have to travel 1hr 15 min a week for my rats. It's worth it though until I can convince my princess to eat f/t. And my new boy is fed live too. My boa will eat anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 11-24-2014, 06:26 PM
    Karokash
    Quote:

Originally Posted by calmolly1 View Post
    I have to travel 1hr 15 min a week for my rats. It's worth it though until I can convince my princess to eat f/t. And my new boy is fed live too. My boa will eat anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well seeing as how it's already frustrating and stressful to keep wasting rats every week and him still not eating even though he's apparently underweight and undoubtedly hungry, I would hate to also add a 2 hour drive every week to that frustration. Maybe if gas was cheap and I already knew it would ensure he would eat. If this is already a life or death situation and he doesn't eat tonight then I guess that's my only option left. I just wish I knew what I did wrong to make it to where he just wants to die.

upset at the situation, not your suggestion. I will do that if it's absolutely necessary. I'm just really trying to come up with a reasonably comfortable situation. And adding that drive to the weekly routine just isn't.