Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,153

3 members and 1,150 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,614
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99
  • 10-08-2013, 08:32 PM
    Mike41793
    Fellow dog owners - what food do you feed?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephibosheth1 View Post
    true; however i'll use a simple analogy to convey my point.

In many LEGO sets, there are yellow bricks. I have yellow bricks in my Star Wars ones and in my moon landing one.

If my dog required yellow bricks for nutrition, would it matter if I got them from the moon landing set or from the star wars sets??

That being said, I recognize that the good points in corn may be overshadowed by the bad. However, what many people (most of the veterinary field included) do not see is that if they would look at the NUTRITIONAL value of a food over the ingredients, and feed accordingly, even Ol Roy could keep a dog healthy.

I just see/hear too many people putting their dogs on these weirdo health freak diets, and I see the dogs suffering for it later. Oh they don't have a corn allergy, but they have almost every immune disease there is, improperly formed bones due to lack of minerals, lack of eyesight and hearing because of amino acid imbalance, etc.

The difference is that in the star wars set the yellow bricks aren't provided as by products, they're provided more naturally.

Yea I'm sure there are plenty of people that do that. You can't fix stupid, lol. There are places to seek out info on the proper ways to feed a raw diet. They aren't that hard to find, it's just that Petco doesnt have them lol
  • 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM
    Mike41793
    Quote:

going to google scholar pulls up articles from actual scholarly journals (granted I can't post direct links because they want me to buy the article) that refer to dogs as omnivores.

Are you saying you don't trust CSU's zoology program or vet school...? Because last time i checked they were one of the top ones in the nation.
  • 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM
    Mephibosheth1
    and really, many of our domestic breeds have been altered so much they don't want a raw diet
  • 10-08-2013, 08:37 PM
    Borgy76
    I feed my 2 male labs blue earth brand dog food, salmon/sweet potato blend. They get veggies for treats, and the occasional bacon grease drizzled over their food. Sometimes a cheeseburger if we swing by mcdonalds after some time at the dog park.
  • 10-08-2013, 08:38 PM
    Anya
    Re: Fellow dog owners - what food do you feed?
    Quote:

and really, many of our domestic breeds have been altered so much they don't want a raw diet

BS...lol. Only an animal USED to not having a raw diet doesn't want it.
  • 10-08-2013, 08:41 PM
    Mike41793
    Quote:

Not true. Nikki described simple methods to switch them over earlier in the thread.
  • 10-08-2013, 08:43 PM
    LaFilleClochette
    Re: Fellow dog owners - what food do you feed?
    Quote:

how do you know that they don't "want" a raw diet... have any dogs told you it or... turned up their nose?
    I shouldnt get into this I know, but that stood out to me. Many dogs will eat anything and everything (mine is living proof...minus green beans) others will eat nothing but kibble and some will eat "crap" kibble.... Untill we can read their minds, we won't know what they "want", but thanks to science and research, we have an idea to what they NEED
  • 10-08-2013, 08:46 PM
    Anya
    Poor Meph, just trying to play devil's advocate...getting all beaten up. :P
  • 10-08-2013, 08:47 PM
    Mike41793
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anya View Post
    Poor Meph, just trying to play devil's advocate...getting all beaten up. :P

You should make it up to him by letting him take you out to dinner! :D
  • 10-08-2013, 08:51 PM
    Anya
    I think he got all grumpy-pants and took his toys and left...