Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,623

1 members and 1,622 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,604
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl

5 Gallon Tank?

Printable View

• 01-24-2009, 03:30 AM
    Clyde Frog
    5 Gallon Tank?
    I recently found one of those little 5 gallon kiddy tanks that I had from way back when and I was wondering what friend could be put in there :)

I'm thinking outside of the box (well, tank :8:) with this one. Anything that isn't a fish that could go in there? I didn't know if there were really small lizards or frogs that I could get to put this tank to good use.

As a side note, if I build something from cardboard or wood in it so that it makes it multi-level, could I house a mouse in there? Or would that still be too small even if I make it multi-level? I'm assuming it'd still be too small but hey, you guys are the experts, not me. :P
  • 01-24-2009, 11:34 PM
    anatess
    Re: 5 Gallon Tank?
    Do you like hamsters? Because, I currently have 2 Russian Dwarf Hamsters in an enclosure roughly the size of a 5 gallon tank with 2 levels. It's a breeze to clean!
  • 01-25-2009, 11:06 PM
    Clyde Frog
    Hmm. Maybe I'll put my mice in there when I'm housing them to be snake food.

I don't much like rodents though. I'm not sure why! Any lizards or frogs that you can think of? :]
  • 01-26-2009, 12:17 AM
    TheShortBus
    +1 for temp rodent housing. i need to get a large critter keeper or 10g just for that :P
  • 01-26-2009, 03:30 AM
    Clyde Frog
    Lol I use a 10g to house them currently but I just built a new shelf so I'd rather not have mice displayed in my snake displaying shelf! :P
  • 01-26-2009, 07:57 AM
    ThyTempest
    I dont know anything about them, but maybe some dart frogs....they are tiny.
  • 01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
    anatess
    If rodents are not your thing, then a tarantula is an option.
    Poison dart frogs are excellent but it is a little difficult to create a complete ecosystem in a 5 gallon - you'll have to be very creative. But once you get the ecosystem going, it requires very little maintenance - just trimming the plants, adding more water, and giving the frog wingless fruitflies. A frog enclosure is a perfect place to grow baby orchids (my favorite!) and make it a very interesting display.
    Hermit crabs can be an option - you have to have 3 of them because they live in packs. But, hermit crabs are much better off in a 10 gallon.
  • 01-26-2009, 01:25 PM
    Clyde Frog
    Awesome! I was thinking about some hermies. But, I can catch them all the time on Cape Cod so maybe I'll wait until the summer so I'm not paying $7 each at PetCo.
  • 01-26-2009, 01:33 PM
    Ranegyr
    I think a dart frog is a good suggestion. I am a member of a dart frog forum and there are some beauties out there. i went there looking for instructions on building a rock wall for a terrarium. that place is pretty cool.

www.dendroboard.net

or i have really been wanting to create a planted tank. like the ones on aquaticgarden.com. there is a soceity who judges those every year and i swear some of those tanks look like they are from another world.

anyway, good luck. if you cant decide, you can always send the tank to me.

just a thought. ;)