Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,499

2 members and 1,497 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,590
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala
  • 05-05-2021, 12:36 PM
    Unknownism
    Feeding & Growth questions
    Hi y'all,

So I have a male that's gonna turn 3yrs next month & I have had him a month now. He absolutely refuses f/t, like he turns & goes away from it, but he goes for live as soon as I throw one in. I just went from a small live rat to sm/med live rat. He has gained 100 grams since I got him from someone that fed irregularly. He is up from 780g to 902g before the new feed size. Should I start spacing his feedings out more than weekly yet or should weekly still be fine, I dont want to go from underfed to overfed.

I also have a female from same breeder with irregular feeding that will be 2yrs in a few months. She was just under 400g & is now at 500g. She would not take a small f/t rat but demolishes rat pups, I can't seem to find any weaned rats available near me. I have been giving her 2 rat pups at a time & intend to move to weaned rats until she is comfortable going to small rats as she is big enough for the small f/t my local pet shop has.

I know BPs are picky eaters but I would love any advice on if this seems like acceptable growth & how to go about upping the size & switching an adult to f/t. Thank you all kindly in advance!
  • 05-05-2021, 01:48 PM
    Hugsplox
    Re: Feeding & Growth questions
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknownism View Post
    Hi y'all,

So I have a male that's gonna turn 3yrs next month & I have had him a month now. He absolutely refuses f/t, like he turns & goes away from it, but he goes for live as soon as I throw one in. I just went from a small live rat to sm/med live rat. He has gained 100 grams since I got him from someone that fed irregularly. He is up from 780g to 902g before the new feed size. Should I start spacing his feedings out more than weekly yet or should weekly still be fine, I dont want to go from underfed to overfed.

I also have a female from same breeder with irregular feeding that will be 2yrs in a few months. She was just under 400g & is now at 500g. She would not take a small f/t rat but demolishes rat pups, I can't seem to find any weaned rats available near me. I have been giving her 2 rat pups at a time & intend to move to weaned rats until she is comfortable going to small rats as she is big enough for the small f/t my local pet shop has.

I know BPs are picky eaters but I would love any advice on if this seems like acceptable growth & how to go about upping the size & switching an adult to f/t. Thank you all kindly in advance!

I've recently moved my guy up to small rats, and with that moved him to a 2 week feeding schedule. He's still gaining weight at a steady pace but not one that I'm uncomfortable with. As far as your female, you could probably ask for a small small (not a typo ask for a smaller small). In my experience every reptile store you go to who breeds/keeps their own feeders, call different sized rats different things. I actually did a side by side of a weaned from one place and a small from another and they were the same size. Doesn't mean that'll be the case for you, but it's worth asking.

I would try that instead of feeding two pups, you may get lucky and it'll be better for her.
  • 05-14-2021, 09:50 AM
    Unknownism
    Thank you Hugsplox!

My male is now at a small/med rat bi-weekly & I have been able to get small smalls now as well. I also have found out that a shop the next town over is a BP breeder and am going to meet them this weekend so I can see the feeder options they have as well before beginning to order online or breed rats myself.

I appreciate the feedback!
  • 05-14-2021, 10:04 AM
    Hugsplox
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknownism View Post
    Thank you Hugsplox!

My male is now at a small/med rat bi-weekly & I have been able to get small smalls now as well. I also have found out that a shop the next town over is a BP breeder and am going to meet them this weekend so I can see the feeder options they have as well before beginning to order online or breed rats myself.

I appreciate the feedback!

No problem, I'm glad it worked out for you!