Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,400

0 members and 1,400 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,607
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead

Waterbed Heater?

Printable View

• 12-15-2004, 08:47 PM
    Shelby
    I just picked up a waterbed heater for a couple dollars. I saw it and thought it could be a great UTH. It has a temperature control and is about 3' long so I could use it for something BIG. I just wonder if there's any reason why this would not be safe for herps. It IS designed to have substantial weight on it, and to be left on for periods of time.
  • 12-15-2004, 09:25 PM
    Brandon.O
    Quote:

It has a temperature control and is about 3' long so I could use it for something BIG. I just wonder if there's any reason why this would not be safe for herps. It IS designed to have substantial weight on it, and to be left on for periods of time.
    Sounds good to me.....and shoot, for a couple dollars, it sounds even better !
  • 12-15-2004, 09:37 PM
    MilkmanWes
    Those things have to maintain temp on several hundreds of gallons of water... i would set it up on an empty cage for a bit first and test it before putting an animal on it.
  • 12-15-2004, 09:38 PM
    Brandon.O
    ooo very very good point.
  • 12-15-2004, 10:05 PM
    Shelby
    Yes, of course. I would test it for a good amount of time first. It has a temp control, so if I set it all the way down, it may be an ok temperature. We'll see. If it doesn't work out, heck it's only a couple dollars.
  • 12-15-2004, 10:25 PM
    sophie42204
    I've had a waterbed and those things can make the bed very hot...too hot sometimes, I'd be careful, definitely use a thermostat w/it, but may put out too much....let us know how the test goes.
  • 12-15-2004, 10:32 PM
    Shelby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sophie42204
    I've had a waterbed and those things can make the bed very hot...too hot sometimes, I'd be careful, definitely use a thermostat w/it, but may put out too much....let us know how the test goes.

Hmm.. my cousin has a waterbed and her heater doesn't make it hot at all. Depends on the heater I guess.

What thermostat would you recommend? Could I get away with a rheostat? I don't quite have enough extra money for a helix right now.

Will the thermostat work with any type of heater? Human heat pads etc?
  • 12-15-2004, 10:40 PM
    Andrew00
    Yeah, I was wondering that too
  • 12-15-2004, 10:53 PM
    sophie42204
    Yeah, maybe it does depend on the heater, but I had that bed for years and the same heater and it definitely got too hot sometimes...

They work w/human heating pads for sure. I believe that Big Apple Herp has them ranging in price from $16 to $110.
  • 12-15-2004, 10:59 PM
    Shelby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sophie42204
    Yeah, maybe it does depend on the heater, but I had that bed for years and the same heater and it definitely got too hot sometimes...

They work w/human heating pads for sure. I believe that Big Apple Herp has them ranging in price from $16 to $110.

Ok thanks. I'll check it out.

I don't need the heater for any animals yet.. I was thinking when I get some sort of monitor (probably ackies) it would work since it's such a big heater.