Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,400

2 members and 1,398 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,217
Threads: 248,624
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ToddHarkey
  • 01-29-2014, 01:31 PM
    anneplath
    Some Snake News out of Southern California
    Hey guys, haven't been on much recently but felt the need to bring this up. There was a python hoarder in Santa Ana, California arrested this morning for animal cruelty. Several hundred snakes and they all look like balls. Most of them were dead, from what the news outlets say. This story is just breaking and getting updated as I type this, I'll link the article I found. Various news outlets have cross posted to twitter and from what I can see, the non herpers are freaking out about it.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...242593641.html
    https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/428554844152946688
  • 01-29-2014, 01:46 PM
    bcr229
    :( :( :(
  • 01-29-2014, 02:00 PM
    anneplath
    Re: Some Snake News out of Southern California
    http://ktla.com/2014/01/29/police-di...-in-santa-ana/

A link to the channel I actually saw the story first on. It's got a video on it from this morning's broadcast. I'm very concerned for how this will effect the general public's perception of us here in SoCal and nationwide.

They interviewed an animal control agent who went about how the snake industry is flooded with breeders and you can't sell them for more than $200. Just non-herpers being themselves, I suppose.
  • 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM
    fishdip
    He was not hoarding them he was simply holding on to them tell the market improved and he was able to sell them for more money :rofl:
  • 01-29-2014, 02:10 PM
    Saber402
    Horrible situation. This isn't too far away from me. It will be interesting to see how this is handled by the media. Let's hope it doesn't get twisted to put a bad light on the Herp community. Yea, right!
  • 01-29-2014, 02:19 PM
    NH93
    I just really hope people don't start blaming it on the animals themselves. As in, no more laws against snakes and herps!!
    I am tired of seeing stories about failed or neglectful pet owners, but having the negetive backlash against the innocent pets themselves. I will be surprised if they decide to ban ball pythons or the like because someone was hoarding them.

People hoard dogs and cats and other animals too, and they don't get banned...

It's the owners that cause the problems and should suffer the consequences (in my opinion).
  • 01-29-2014, 02:41 PM
    sorraia
    That's just awful. :(
    I'm glad he's being arrested on charges of animal cruelty. I hope the majority of people will look at it as an animal cruelty case, and not as a "snake problem" case. Although a lot of animals are banned in California, being a more liberal state does mean a little more tolerance for those animals that are legal (and even those that aren't legal but are still kept here). At least that's been my experience! Doesn't mean everyone likes them, of course.

Now I'm waiting to hear from my family members who live out there... They already don't like my snakes. :rolleyes:
  • 01-29-2014, 03:17 PM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anneplath View Post
    They interviewed an animal control agent who went about how the snake industry is flooded with breeders and you can't sell them for more than $200.

Which might convince people thinking about getting into snake breeding as a get-rich-quick scheme to look elsewhere.
  • 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
    Kat_Dog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sorraia View Post
    Now I'm waiting to hear from my family members who live out there... They already don't like my snakes. :rolleyes:

Same here... after that Canada incident every one kept asking my mom "What are you going to do with Kat's snakes now that they're dangerous?" -_-

My grandpa, who is our land lord, doesn't like my snakes and now he'll probably really freak out about them ._.
    Thank goodness I've converted my grandma to not being so scared, so hopefully it won't be too bad of a freak-out.
  • 01-29-2014, 09:30 PM
    CrystalRose
    California Python Breeder Arrested After 100s of Dead Pythons Found in Home