Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,329

1 members and 1,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Btripp08 (38)

» Stats

Members: 75,150
Threads: 248,591
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Dbook

I wish....

Printable View

• 03-28-2004, 10:00 AM
    Tigergenesis
    Someone would make a nice, naturalistic humid hide for snakes.

At least I haven't seen any -anyone else?
  • 03-28-2004, 01:26 PM
    steelsack
    You can make anything into a humid hide by hot glueing a sponge to the ceiling. Hollowed out logs, terra cotta, name it! My glue gun has got to be in the running as one of the best $10 I ever spent!
    My humid hide isn't natural (plastic flower pot with holes in the bottom-I can see the sponge through the holes-so I remoisten by squirting through the holes onto sponge), but it would be NO problem for someone to take just about anything and make it work......................
    Your question sounds like an invitation to tinker............off to get the glue gun out again!
    Anybody interested in getting out their camaras and having a natural-looking-humid-hide show off?
    Little creativity be good for da soul :wink:
  • 03-28-2004, 05:17 PM
    Tigergenesis
    Good idea! I'm in not way talented, creative or patient enough to try it myself. I'd love to see any ideas others can come up with.
  • 03-28-2004, 05:59 PM
    Ginevive
    I am thinking of making custom-sized hide spots using clay that you put in your oven to harden. I actually think that it was on this site that somsone said they did that, and it sounds like a good idea! Then when my snakes outgrow them, I can sell them on ebay or something. :)
  • 03-28-2004, 06:09 PM
    anyone try this?
    I just use an empty buttertub or opaque tupperware container and solder an entry hole in the side and fill it with moist sphagnum moss.
  • 03-28-2004, 06:19 PM
    elevatethis
    Corkbark and moist sphagnum moss is probably as natural as it gets. For its cool hide, I use a piece of corkbark that is relatively flat, and my bp has basically made a little burrow for itself underneath of it in the bark substrate. When it comes time to shed, I just throw a clean, wet sponge in there or some wet moss if I have any.
  • 03-28-2004, 07:06 PM
    JLC
    Not a BP - but I'm a proud parent nonetheless....
    Yeah, Ginevive...that was Marla that made the little igloo hide out of the clay. I've got a stack of it in my hobby stuff now...just trying to decide what to make with it. LOL Good idea to sell 'em on ebay!
  • 03-28-2004, 07:09 PM
    Tigergenesis
    Well if anyone creates a natural looking humid hide, I bet you would be able to sell a lot of them..
  • 03-28-2004, 09:54 PM
    Marla
    I'm not sure how to effectively make a humid hide that you wouldn't have to worry about bacteria issues with. I did make the igloo that's Hanover's favorite hide and plan to make more hides along similar lines but I think you could just make it humid by inserting a humidimat or sponge inside it, and then cleaning the sponge regularly to cut down on bacteria.
  • 03-29-2004, 12:29 AM
    JLC
    What if you made a hide OUT OF a sponge? Like one of those big sea sponges? Dig it out into a cave. You can make the whole thing damp...and also clean it as often as you think necessary. Maybe have more than one, so you can swap out a clean, freshly dampened one, while the older one gets washed.