Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,205

1 members and 2,204 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,179
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ReptiFreak

What size box do I use?

Printable View

• 05-27-2012, 12:03 PM
    MorphMaster
    What size box do I use?
    I know how to do it, but don't know what size box to get. If you ship ball pythons, what do you use? Also, when are poked holes necessary?
  • 05-27-2012, 12:07 PM
    sho220
    The Shipyourreptiles website has a basic guide for what size box for what type of snake. I would just poke a few holes in each side of the box (through the box and sytrofoam) for some ventilation...
  • 05-27-2012, 12:08 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Depends on the size of the BP

For hatchlings to sub-adult 12 x 9 x 6

I always put a few holes from 2 to 4 depending on the time of the year.
  • 05-27-2012, 12:43 PM
    MorphMaster
    Re: What size box do I use?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Depends on the size of the BP

For hatchlings to sub-adult 12 x 9 x 6

I always put a few holes from 2 to 4 depending on the time of the year.

So if it's hot do you use more holes? Oh and at what temperature do you not need a heat pack. Like 85 to 95 or what
  • 05-27-2012, 01:14 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MorphMaster View Post
    So if it's hot do you use more holes? Oh and at what temperature do you not need a heat pack. Like 85 to 95 or what

2 Holes in the winter with heat pack.

2 Holes in the spring heat pack if necessary depends on temps.

4 holes in the summer and sometimes with cold pack depending on temps.

I do not ship when temps are below 40 or over 90.

This will help you http://www.shipyourreptiles.com/en/g...s/#question-15
  • 05-27-2012, 01:16 PM
    sho220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MorphMaster View Post

Shipyourreptiles.com has all the information you're asking for....do some research...
  • 05-29-2012, 04:11 PM
    GHOST_584
    I have been reading g a lot on how to ship reptiles. Seems it is 50/50 for punching holes in the box. I realize what the premise is for the holes, but is it really necessary?

I shipped tropical fish for over 20 years using uniheat 40 hr. heat packs ( when needed) and never punched holes in the shipping box. Shipped most of the year except weather below 32.

Please no flaming, just curious.
  • 05-29-2012, 04:38 PM
    mues155
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GHOST_584 View Post
    I have been reading g a lot on how to ship reptiles. Seems it is 50/50 for punching holes in the box. I realize what the premise is for the holes, but is it really necessary?

I shipped tropical fish for over 20 years using uniheat 40 hr. heat packs ( when needed) and never punched holes in the shipping box. Shipped most of the year except weather below 32.

Please no flaming, just curious.

Well no it wouldnt be necessary for fish to have ventilation, they breathe the oxygen in the water. :confused: quite a bit different!
    Snakes have lungs that breathe air and yes ventilation holes would be beneficial. I always poke 3-4 holes in my shipping boxes. Plus heat packs work off oxygen and if you have no ventilation then the heat pack could quit working.
  • 05-30-2012, 10:35 AM
    GHOST_584
    Still curious why some do and some don't poke holes in the box. Of all the snakes I have received via shipping none of the boxes had holes in them and all the snakes were fine.

I realize the4 heat packs work off oxygen, but in all the years I received and shipped fish the boxes were always warm. Now I am not disputing the fact that the heat packs and do fail, but I wonder if it is due to no holes being in the box.

As I said just wondering.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.
  • 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM
    Mike41793
    [QUOTE=mues155;1837122]Well no it wouldnt be necessary for fish to have ventilation, they breathe the oxygen in the water. :confused: quite a bit different!
    [QUOTE]

lmfao:rofl: