Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,216

0 members and 2,216 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,195
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Hot-Rod1088

Substrate slitherin'

Printable View

• 05-26-2010, 02:13 PM
    Elise.m
    Substrate slitherin'
    I had to go to an exotic pet shop last week to get feeders cuz my supplier had to work. I talked to the owner a little bit and somehow we came upon the subject of substrate! She keeps ALL of her reptiles on kiln dried pine. She says all the oils are dried out (I've heard this somewhere else, but there was a debate on it). I mentioned how I keep all four of mine on newspaper. She said she didn't like newspaper for substrate because they can't move as well.

I haven't ever noticed a different of how my snakes move on newspaper opposed to cypress mulch. I've never tried aspen, never even thought of trying pine. I was wondering if anyone had ever noticed a difference?
  • 05-26-2010, 06:54 PM
    Kaorte
    Re: Substrate slitherin'
    They obviously can't grip the smooth surfaces as well, but it doesn't prevent them from moving normally.

I keep all my reptiles on paper towels. Works great for me and the snakes aren't complaining :snake:
  • 05-26-2010, 07:04 PM
    West Coast Jungle
    They dont like newspaper because they cant sell you that but I'll bet they can sell you a whole bunch of dried pine;)

You are fine with newspaper, dont let them worry you. I have used it for many years and besides leaving a ink stain on an albino once and a while it works fine and is completely safe if accidentally swallowed.
  • 05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
    BPelizabeth
    Mine seem to move around fine on papertowels. I think they like it just fine. There is no dust, it is easy to clean ...hence they are not sitting in pee.....and some of them like to burrow underneath the towels.
  • 05-26-2010, 10:16 PM
    CoolioTiffany
    I've noticed a difference with certain snakes, some kind of slip across it and freak out but others have a good grip on it.

I like using aspen and probably always will use it, I just dont like those big messes with the solid substrates. I love spot cleaning loose substrate, makes my job much easier on cleaning days :D
  • 05-27-2010, 05:18 PM
    alittleFREE
    I had never noticed a difference before, but this morning I was walking outside and there was a baby garter snake on the sidewalk that looked like it was having the hardest time getting across :/