Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,425

0 members and 2,425 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl
  • 11-11-2010, 10:41 AM
    Jay_Bunny
    What do you feed your crickets?
    What do you feed your crickets and about how much does it cost you?
  • 11-11-2010, 12:06 PM
    Clementine_3
    I make my own cricket food/worm bedding. I use rolled oats, wheat germ, flax, baby rice cereal and a bit of dry milk. I crush/grind it for the crickets but leave it all chunky for the supers. They both get baby carrots for moisture.
    It's pretty cheap to make really, and lasts a long time as long as it's kept dry.
  • 11-11-2010, 12:52 PM
    Theartisticgemini
    Re: What do you feed your crickets?
    Potatoes, Bannanas, Apples....ETC

Try to stay away from the fruits with citrus such as Oranges.
  • 11-11-2010, 01:55 PM
    Jay_Bunny
    Thanks! I was thinking of trying my hand at cricket breeding again and wanted some ideas on food. :) That homemade cricket food seems easy enough and cheap. And those fresh foods are a good idea. Thanks guys!:D
  • 11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
    jfreels
    Any reason why crickets? I can't remember if you've posted about roaches before. (b. dubia specifically)

I use ProGeckos ProGutload for my worms and roaches and use to use it for the crickets. I buy the 10lb bag and it's $19 shipped. Lasts a long time, I'd have to check my records to see when I got my last one, but it's been months since I got a new bag.

I should try and make my own, I'm just lazy :oops:
  • 11-11-2010, 02:24 PM
    Sarin
    I only keep crickets around for 3 days at the most, but I feed them dry Crested gecko Diet. :)
  • 11-11-2010, 02:38 PM
    Jay_Bunny
    I would do roaches (whatever kind I could feed to my leopard gecko) but I don't have access to feeder roaches here. At least not in quantities to start my own feeder colony. And I do not have the means to purchase them online, at least not right now. Crickets are easily obtained and I did succeed once in breeding them (got hundreds if not thousands of babies, but humidity got the better of them and killed them off. (I didn't provide enough ventilation)
  • 11-11-2010, 02:50 PM
    jfreels
    Gotchia, OK. 3/4"-1" nymphs are good for leo's. Both of my breeders are right around 65 grams and they will eat a couple every day or so. Man, raising crickets seems like a lot of work for one gecko. Thinking about expanding your collection anytime soon?? ;)
  • 11-15-2010, 08:33 AM
    suzuki4life
    double post
  • 11-15-2010, 08:34 AM
    suzuki4life
    Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuki4life View Post
    I am phasing out crickets in exchange for turk(red runner) roaches.

easier to produce, slightly less smell, longer life cycle.

downfall....I am confident they can infest your house. I only feed them to animals kept in glass aquariums.

Crickets, I use the shakings from dog food bags, mixed with fish flake which I run it through a blender to get a good mix.

water, dubias I use auto waters from ghanns and they work great.

turks i use carrots. I get 5lbs for $2 and local farm store.