Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 670

0 members and 670 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles

Feeding portions.

Printable View

• 07-30-2014, 01:54 PM
    Joshes_Python
    Feeding portions.
    Hi All, new to the site after getting my first BP "Seb" he's gorgeous and incredibly passive. Your posts recently helped us through our first shed together and had no issues at all. He is around 30" long at the moment and is on 1 small mouse a week right now and I was wondering when to start him on medium mice? any advice greatly appreciated from us both!
  • 07-30-2014, 02:34 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Re: Feeding portions.
    If your BP is 30 inches he is way passed small mice.

To give you and idea BP out of the egg can take a hopper and quickly move to adult.

How old and how much does your BP weighs?

At first glance based on your measurement also those are not the ones to go by when it comes to feeding, it looks like you have been under feeding your BP.
  • 07-30-2014, 02:44 PM
    Gary P
    Two of my BP's are about 30 inches long and about 500 grams and I feed them small rats once a week. I feed my 200 gram ball medium mice. Your ball may be slightly underfed.
  • 07-30-2014, 02:55 PM
    jasonmcgilvrey83
    BestBest thing to do is feed him a meal the size of the thickest part of his body. If u don't see a lump after the meal the meal is to small
  • 07-30-2014, 03:14 PM
    Joshes_Python
    As I have only had him a few weeks I was just following what his previous owner had said I was unsure hence why I came and asked. I now know I have been underfeeding him although in the short time I have had him I have seen steady growth. My next question is, on giving him larger prey items should I get larger gradually or will he be ok straight on the big stuff? many thanks in advance.
  • 07-30-2014, 03:24 PM
    Joshes_Python
    As I have only had him a few weeks I was just following what his previous owner had said I was unsure hence why I came and asked. I now know I have been underfeeding him although in the short time I have had him I have seen steady growth. My next question is, on giving him larger prey items should I get larger gradually or will he be ok straight on the big stuff? many thanks in advance.
  • 07-30-2014, 04:01 PM
    Zach Cedor
    A good thing to do is buy a simple scale that you can use to measure his weight in grams(kitchen scales work best as they normally have a tear/zero option) then feed him approx 10-15% of his body weight whether that is one small rat or 3 large mice shouldnt really make a difference

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/31/jane7ata.jpg

Here is a chart for feeders weights and sizes this should also be very helpful in finding the right food size for him!
  • 07-30-2014, 04:17 PM
    CORBIN911
    This charts good, Soon enough youll have a eye for what he needs! (Also depends on frequency of feeding)

When there is a noticeable lump he may not eat for 1-2 extra feeding times, If its smaller hell pound down next week!

I prefer being on the "smaller" scale of feedings vs the bigger end. Keeps it more consistent I dont mean underfeeding from diffrent sizes

But My males stop at small mice and get regular 6-7 day feed

and my Females stop at Med and aswell get normal 7-10 day feed (5-6 when prepping for breeding)
  • 07-30-2014, 04:34 PM
    Joshes_Python
    Thanks guys for the advice and as I said before is it ok to jump up in size or is it best to gradually increase?
  • 08-03-2014, 06:43 PM
    DennisM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshes_Python View Post
    Thanks guys for the advice and as I said before is it ok to jump up in size or is it best to gradually increase?

go right to the appropriate size, no need to work up to it