Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,739

2 members and 2,737 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
  • 01-12-2007, 07:05 PM
    Entropy
    Best recommended cat food?
    I'm considering changing cat foods as I'm just not pleased with the performance of my current one. What are your picks for the best food? Why do you like this food?
  • 01-12-2007, 07:13 PM
    tigerlily
    Re: Best recommended cat food?
    I went ahead and moved this to Other Pets. ;)

Are you looking for a general cat formula? I think I use the Purina One Hairball food with great success. Of course, I can't remember and I'm too tired to walk and find out......sorry :oops:
  • 01-12-2007, 07:15 PM
    SatanicIntention
    Royal Canin, Blue Buffalo, really any of your higher end foods with no by-products, preservatives, "meals", etc. I love Wellness, but sometimes it can be a bit rich for animals not used to it, so best to switch very slowly. I use the Wellness Senior for my rats :) and they love it.
  • 01-12-2007, 07:52 PM
    Kristy
    The best food I have ever fed my cats or dogs when I had them was Natural Balance. Its not as expensive as the other brands but its great food for them.

There are some others like
    Chicken Soup
    Filidae
    Innova
    Merrick
    Solid Gold
  • 01-12-2007, 08:15 PM
    Ginevive
    I use Science Diet for our cat. It's a hairball formula; since I have started using it, I swear he has had none; he used to be infamous for hacking them up. Also, I noticed his litter box fills up much slower than when I fed Meow Mix.
    My mom also uses this brand for her two dogs and cat; we all have great results and healthy animals.
  • 01-12-2007, 11:42 PM
    slartibartfast
    Gotta be one of the most controversial subjects out there, LOL.

I feed Science Diet Adult dry kibble to the seething masses, and canned Science Diet prescriptions (k/d, i/d, and a/d) to our ancient kitty who requires more maintenance.

I also meal-feed, since I have several cats who would really pack on the pounds if I let them. It's a bit of a pain, since they beg all day between meals but they stay nice and lean. About 1/3 cup per cat per day is a good volume for my kids. At 1/2 cup a day, my big male went from a healthy 10lbs to 14lbs and jiggled when he walked. Since obesity in cats is a primary cause of diabetes, this was not acceptable! The volume of food I give them now seems ridiculously small but they've been on it and maintaining healthy weights for the last three years.

I firmly believe that a diet with more digestible content reduces the stool output, which is important to me since I have enough cats that litterbox duty is a real pain. I also have clean skin, silky coats, no pesky allergies, and few hairballs.

I would be comfortable feeding Royal Canin, Felidae, Solid Gold, Innova, etc...they're just out of my budget range when I'm going through 10+ pounds of food a week and I can get the Science Diet through work for about half of retail price.
  • 01-12-2007, 11:51 PM
    joyful girl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    Royal Canin, Blue Buffalo, really any of your higher end foods with no by-products, preservatives, "meals", etc. I love Wellness, but sometimes it can be a bit rich for animals not used to it, so best to switch very slowly. I use the Wellness Senior for my rats :) and they love it.

good choices

I feed Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul to my cats and Kitten's Soul to my ferrets.
  • 01-12-2007, 11:58 PM
    jglass38
    I've used Nutro Natural Choice for years and it is a great product. The cats have far less hairballs and vomiting then with other foods. Good luck!
  • 01-13-2007, 12:22 AM
    Adam_Wysocki
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jglass38
    I've used Nutro Natural Choice for years and it is a great product. The cats have far less hairballs and vomiting then with other foods. Good luck!

Such a good daddy!

-adam
  • 01-13-2007, 12:25 AM
    Entropy
    I have had experience with Nutro, I fed it to my dogs back home.

I have friends that swear by Science Diet, Solid Gold, Royal Canin and Felidea. One even is crazy about the BARF diet though that is way too time consuming and costly for me and one still swears by Purina Cat/Kitten chow. Gotta love diversity.

Personally after looking at what is best available in my area and what I have experience with I might go with Nutro Indoor Kitten. I am NOT a fan of the 'MAX' line of Nutro products, not at all but the natural line I've liked.

Thank you all for your input.

Now, another question. Do you feed an all dry diet, an all wet diet or a mixed diet?

I myself tend to feed a mixed diet.