Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,501

1 members and 2,500 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,594
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW
  • 01-04-2016, 10:55 PM
    elbee
    what incubator do you use?
    I am trying to decide if it is worth my time and money to build one. I would honestly rather buy one ready to go. What kind do you recommend? All I need is something small.
  • 01-04-2016, 11:08 PM
    Eric Alan
    Re: what incubator do you use?
    I love my Hotbox by C-Serpents.
  • 01-04-2016, 11:32 PM
    elbee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    I love my Hotbox by C-Serpents.

I have a friend that recommended that one as well. They're just so expensive.
  • 01-04-2016, 11:54 PM
    Eric Alan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elbee View Post
    I have a friend that recommended that one as well. They're just so expensive.

Yes. You definitely pay for the quality and customer service (which are both excellent) when you don't DIY.
  • 01-05-2016, 01:32 AM
    Ba11er
    I have been looking around at some of the cheaper incubators like the exo terra and the reptiPro basically from what i have seen you get what you pay for.

It seems like the cheaper units don't hold heat or humidity as great as advertised but for someone starting out it looks like a good option. Im also curious what other people here think about these incubators for ball pythons or have experience with any small incubator under $ 200.
  • 01-05-2016, 04:20 AM
    Albert Clark
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elbee View Post
    I am trying to decide if it is worth my time and money to build one. I would honestly rather buy one ready to go. What kind do you recommend? All I need is something small.

I have been using the Zoo Med reptibator for the past 2 years and it has served me well. For the price it probably is the best. One of the only commercial incubators with a built in proportional thermostat. That is the feature that really sold me on it. Holds temperatures very well. My humidity stayed stable at 99% but that was inside the sealed tub in the incubator. This reptibator is used in many Zoos and hatcheries.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ba11er View Post
    I have been looking around at some of the cheaper incubators like the exo terra and the reptiPro basically from what i have seen you get what you pay for.

It seems like the cheaper units don't hold heat or humidity as great as advertised but for someone starting out it looks like a good option. Im also curious what other people here think about these incubators for ball pythons or have experience with any small incubator under $ 200.

I highly recommend the Zoo Med reptibator for the above reasons. Also the ease of use. It's almost a set it and forget it type of operation. Very safe product if used correctly. Like any thermostat, I would plug it into a outlet directly and not into a power strip. It is a relatively small incubator but can hold Python eggs very well. Multiple clutches would be problematic but only bc of a space issue. By multiple clutches I mean more than 4 or just large number of eggs. A built in proportional thermostat is the best feature of the reptibator. The other drawback to me is the lightweight compartment (styrofoam). So, be careful as you carry the unit. But I highly recommend it. :gj:
  • 01-05-2016, 04:54 AM
    Viol8r
    When I was in your position I figured it would probably be best if I just went the DIY route.

Advantages: 100% customizable, cheaper, when something fails you know how you made it so you can fix it or build a temporary one (like a styrofoam cooler) until you get yours back up. The best advantage is when your clutch hatches, you feel more like you had a part in that happening.

Disadvantage: your time, warranty

I have a friend that made a bator out of scrape 3/4 inch plywood. It holds heat well and he has produced a handfull of clutches with no issues. He even had twins at 27 and 16 grams that are now around 100 and 80 grams.
    In the end, do what you feel most comfortable with. I prefer having done it once and it works and knowing I can do it again. Good luck either way!
  • 01-05-2016, 05:58 AM
    guanagator
    I haven't had any issues with the exo terra one, I use it for chameleon eggs and live in Florida so having both heating and cooling function was important to me. Once I get to the point of having multiple clutches of Bps I'll likely upgrade to a hot box seen a few in person and they are well built.
  • 01-05-2016, 06:10 AM
    OhhWatALoser
    Given how cheap they are to DIY and how there isn't much to them at all, I'd just DIY. Heat on thermostat, items in place for humidity, slow fan moving air around preventing standing moisture.... about all there is to it
  • 01-05-2016, 06:50 AM
    Felidae
    I trust more in the good built DIY incubators with quality thermostat, than the cheaper commercial ones. Of course Hotbox is an other category if you can afford it :)