Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,830

0 members and 1,830 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,195
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Hot-Rod1088
  • 01-19-2009, 06:34 PM
    cierahailee
    My beardies tail is turning black
    I just got our my bearded dragon and his tail is turning black half way down and all the way to the tip. It wasnt like this yesterday and he shed like 3 days ago. Is this bad and if so what could be causing it?
  • 01-19-2009, 06:59 PM
    wilomn
    Re: My beardies tail is turning black
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cierahailee View Post
    I just got our my bearded dragon and his tail is turning black half way down and all the way to the tip. It wasnt like this yesterday and he shed like 3 days ago. Is this bad and if so what could be causing it?

Need a picture to be sure but it sounds like necrosis, which is bad.
  • 01-19-2009, 07:12 PM
    cierahailee
    I dont know how to put a picture on here.
  • 01-19-2009, 07:18 PM
    wilomn
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16400

We'll need pictures of the tail in particular.
  • 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
    cierahailee
    http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/100_1725.jpg

I hope this helps. I have never used photobucket before. His tail is not as dark as it was when I first noticed it but is still does not look like it normally does. His entire body is usuall all the same color. He has a tiny piece of shed that did not come off at the very tip of his tail, could this have anything to do with it?
  • 01-19-2009, 07:38 PM
    cierahailee
    I also think he is acting a little more slugish today than usual. I just dont understand because he was perfectly fine last night.
  • 01-19-2009, 07:55 PM
    DutchHerp
    That doesn't look like necrosis much...
  • 01-19-2009, 07:58 PM
    wilomn
    Whew. That looks like natural shading, not dead tissue.

Their colours lighten and darken according to temperature, mood, food, genetics and relative levels of stress.

Yours looks good. It's probably just a little stressed out today. If you're like the typical keeper you also fed it well today. It may just be sleepy from that.

I'm sure some of the more beardie knowing members will opine when they see this thread.
  • 01-19-2009, 08:22 PM
    cierahailee
    Ok then here is another question for you how much do you feed a beardie when he is at about 8 inches long? I have been feeding him about 20 crickets a day and 2-3 wax worms a week. Am I over feeding him? I know the pet store told me that about 10 a day and then some one told me on here that 50 crickets a day. I dont know whats right and whats wrong.
  • 01-19-2009, 08:29 PM
    wilomn
    I always feed mine until they're done eating or I run out of bugs. Same for greens. I don't worry about them over eating.

I don't feed every day though. Insects 3 or 4 times a week and greens 3 or 4 times a week, sometimes both on the same day, sometimes not.