Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,701

1 members and 2,700 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,179
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ReptiFreak

Different food

Printable View

• 03-19-2007, 08:07 AM
    t0m541
    Different food
    I have a Sav monitor and he/she is about a year old'ish and two foot long.
    I feed it with rat pups, locusts and raw turkey breast meat every couple of days .
    Can anyone suggest anything else to give as food, I know that savs are scavengers in their natural habitat so probably aren't that fussy, also what about extra vitamins,do they need them?.
    Advice is always welcome....cheers
  • 03-19-2007, 05:58 PM
    Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    Re: Different food
    When I had mine, I would give him a couple dozen crickets every week or so just to vary his diet a bit. In the summer I liked to catch wild insects for him to eat in our lot since there have never been any pesticides there. I hear the canned monitor diet also a good food. Maybe Matt will Chime in since he also keeps a sav
  • 03-20-2007, 12:51 AM
    MATT FISHER REPTILES
    savs are like you said eat anything critter. i have fed mine goldfish,rats, mice, grasshoppers, meal worms. and just last week got monitor and tegu bites. and he ate them but was not crazy about them. but i think if i stoped feeding him other stuff he would go soley on them. and just because there is no set rule on lighting i would say go full spec as more light increses there feeding responce.
  • 03-20-2007, 01:09 AM
    SiscoReptiles
    I raise tegus.

I feed them a variety..

One meal they get rodents and strawberry
    One meal they get insects (crickets, superworms, roaches) and grapes
    One meal they get lean raw ground turkey and banana

I then rotate back to the rodents, then insects, then turkey.. and change the fruits each time (maybe Kiwi, Melon, Blueberry, etc)

I do not add supplements to the rodents since they are a whole food item, but I do supplement the insects and turkey with calcium every day, and vitamin D3 every few days. I also sprinkle calcium powder on the fruits.

This has worked great for me for many years, but as stated, this is for my tegus. I do not keep monitors.

I hope this has been of some assistance.

Rick
  • 03-20-2007, 10:53 PM
    mr~python
    you can feed your sav all kinds of things, but they dont eat fruit or veggies. you can try earthworms, snails, fish, reptiles, chicks, day old quail, and any insects except for wild ones that could have been exposed to pesticides. basically you can feed him almost ecerything except for things that may be poisonous to him. if you're unsure about a food item research it first. another things is to not feed rodents too often.