Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,591

3 members and 1,588 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,158
Threads: 248,598
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Brayden0924
  • 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM
    aizkora
    Coconut husk Potting liners
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/CobraCo-14...Liner/17443065

I was browsing my local walmart and stumbled upon these. They actually have a wider variety of sizes than I could find on Wally World's website. I was wondering if any one had used them for creating humid hides or perhaps for actual hides them selves?

I have never used coconut for substrate but I have seen a lot of talk about it being great for helping with humidity as well as a reasonably priced substrate.

They have them in all kinds of sizes from small 4 inch ones and up to giant 30 inch ones that I saw and much cheaper than this online pricing. They claim to be 100% coconut fiber but it felt kinda tacky to me and I was not sure if that is normal for coconut fiber.

Anyone with any knowledge or experience with these for any purpose?
  • 06-11-2012, 10:00 AM
    kitedemon
    I have looked at them in passing it feels odd to me as well. I use coco coir substrate so I am used to its feel. I might go to an actually greenhouse and talk with a knowledgeable clerk they may have better understanding of what else is in there. If it is safe for food crops I think it is fine for herps as long as it is free of fertilizer. You might check with the manufacturer. They often are very good (in general) responding to questions.
  • 06-11-2012, 10:14 AM
    kitedemon
    Coco coir is a very good at holding moisture it is kinda like a sponge I can actually squeeze out water from saturated substrate. I am assuming you have a tank? I did this to solve the RH issues. I placed a plant saucer on the bottom of the cool side and then filled coco coir over and in in about 3-5 inches deep (cool side only) and I would about once a week poke a finger down and pour some water in to the saucer. It holds a large amount of moisture that slowly releases through the drier upper layers of substrate. I rarely misted and did not block the top at all.

Cheap yes it is, quite. Off the shelf at my regular home depot (in canada) it is 7$ for 3.3 cubic feet that is uncompressed That lasts me for 6 months for 11 snakes. I was getting larger blocks about 30 cubic feet for 18$ way cheaper but it was hard to store and hard to deal with generally and generally wasn't worth the savings....