Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,386

1 members and 1,385 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,590
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala

Help with my setup

Printable View

• 09-22-2011, 08:15 PM
    bellatrixxxy
    Help with my setup
    Ok so I just reccently purchased a fairly young ball python and I really need to make sure my set up is ok... I had a sickly ball that passed away reccently, and although many symptoms led to the possibility of ibd, I am extra nervous about making sure my setup is perfect this time... Ok so right now, I have my 20 gallon equipped with an underbelly heat pad, a large hide that rests on top of it.... a deep water dish, two thermometors on each end (which I feel may be off on temp as they dont quite reach under the hide to measure the temp in there, a humidity measurer... as well as an 8.5 inch dome lamp raised up above the enclosure... I have an infrared heat lamp, 75 watt, that I only put on during the day.... the stupid thermometers keep reading about 80 degrees, but I dont think this is the case under the hide (which I think must be at least 85 (hoping to try and purchase a probe therm... I know my lamp can heat the cage more (it has a dimmer and I can raise the heat more if need be) but im too afraid of overheating her! can someone just tell me what I am doing right/ wrong here? Most advice I am getting from people that I know say Im fine, but I cant trust it
  • 09-22-2011, 08:19 PM
    Skittles1101
    I hope you aren't using the same equipment, enclosure and supplies that you used with your sick snake that died. I know I sure wouldn't take that chance, even with all the bleach in the world....

I actually think if you are not using a thermostat for the heat pad or a dimmer for your lamp, the enclosure and hot spot is far too hot. In most places a lamp is not needed, I only use one in the winter time. I suggest buying a temp gun, or getting better thermometers. I also suggest using two identical hides on opposite sides of the tank.

http://tempgun.com/
  • 09-22-2011, 08:21 PM
    Alexandra V
    Sounds not too bad, but definitely not perfect. Here we go:

- Make sure you have 2 tight fitting hides (one for the cool side, one for the hot side)

- NEVER guess at the temperatures. Either get an infrared thermometer or take actual readings with a reliable thermometer.

- You don't need the heat lamp to supplement the hot side, a heat mat will almost always suffice. You may however consider using your heat lamp on the dimmer to keep the cool side at 78-82F

- Get a control for the heat mat (either a thermostat or a rheostat/dimmer. I highly recommend the thermostat).

- If you're only getting readings of about 80 on the side that has both a heat lamp and a heat mat, there is almost definitely something wrong with your thermometers. Again, I can't stress enough how important it is to have high quality thermometers. You can get an infrared thermometer from Pro Exotics for just about $30 and lemme tell you, they are worth their weight in diamond-encrusted gold for this hobby.

- Make sure your humidity is at 50% or higher. If you need to, cover part of the lid of the enclosure with saran wrap or plexiglas to reduce ventilation and hold in the humidity a bit more.
  • 09-22-2011, 08:42 PM
    bellatrixxxy
    Well I already have a gun in my amazon cart, so Ill definitely be getting that... looking for a small thermostat too (wish I wasnt broke)........... I just get so flustered because I am getting so many different people's perceptions regarding the right way to set up a ball python tank! Some people love UB mats, some love lamps, some love both! It gets me so freaked out! Thanks for your help, I guess Ill try it that way
  • 09-22-2011, 08:50 PM
    bellatrixxxy
    how about this... since my lamp does indeed have a dimmer, i was thinking I could do lamp during the day and heat mat at night... this was reccommended to me by more than one owner... but I guess id like to get a third opinion
  • 09-22-2011, 08:57 PM
    Skittles1101
    Re: Help with my setup
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bellatrixxxy View Post
    how about this... since my lamp does indeed have a dimmer, i was thinking I could do lamp during the day and heat mat at night... this was reccommended to me by more than one owner... but I guess id like to get a third opinion

There's no need to change temps in any way during the day or night. Get the correct temps with the UTH/thermostat and/or lamp/dimmer and keep it 24/7.