Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,898

0 members and 2,898 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,170
Threads: 248,600
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, viersa

Sealing a PVC enclosure.

Printable View

• 01-30-2018, 02:00 PM
    cba191
    Sealing a PVC enclosure.
    I just received my ap enclosure today. When assembling it, is the included adhesive the best thing to use? Or is there something better. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c28d09cbc8.jpg
  • 01-30-2018, 02:08 PM
    ckuhn003
    Re: Sealing a PVC enclosure.
    Following this thread because I'm getting ready to order an AP w/ a RHP.

How long did it take to arrive and did you have the RHP shipped to AP? Curious about your experiences.

Which AP is this?
  • 01-30-2018, 03:04 PM
    jmcrook
    The lexel sealant they send with the cage is tough as nails. Takes a few days or so to cure but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 01-30-2018, 04:22 PM
    Sauzo
    Lexel is awesome but once the stuff dries, it is like concrete lol. A word of wisdom, a little goes a long way with that stuff. Dont put a huge bead like silicone. I use a thin bead on my cages and then with a latex gloves on, i wet the index finger and then run my finger along the small bead, pushing it into the crack and smoothing it out. The smoother and thinner you make the bead, the lead chance of snake piss or poop getting between it and the cage.

And to give you an example of how little it takes, I used 1.5 tubes to seal 3 AP T25 cages and that was doing the corners vertically about 3 inches up too.
  • 01-30-2018, 04:33 PM
    SDA
    The included sealant is the best in the industry. It is actually Lexel and bonds far better than even aquarium grade silicon. It dries non toxic to reptiles and will last the life of the enclosure. Word of warning: WEAR gloves!

If you want more of it, this is the link to Lowes (don't think home depot sells it)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lexel-10-5-...-Caulk/4714985
  • 01-30-2018, 05:35 PM
    CALM Pythons
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lexel is awesome but once the stuff dries, it is like concrete lol. A word of wisdom, a little goes a long way with that stuff. Dont put a huge bead like silicone. I use a thin bead on my cages and then with a latex gloves on, i wet the index finger and then run my finger along the small bead, pushing it into the crack and smoothing it out. The smoother and thinner you make the bead, the lead chance of snake piss or poop getting between it and the cage.

And to give you an example of how little it takes, I used 1.5 tubes to seal 3 AP T25 cages and that was doing the corners vertically about 3 inches up too.

This^^^^^ don't apply like thick Caulk or it gets Gummy when it is wet from cleaning.. Then cloth/paper Towels etc will stick to it.
  • 01-30-2018, 06:24 PM
    Regius_049
    For PVC, I have seen weld-on used to good effect. It is designed to repair leaking pipes and seal joints, so it works well for this application.
  • 01-30-2018, 10:16 PM
    cba191
    Should i use the same stuff to attach eggcrate to the pvc?
  • 01-30-2018, 10:18 PM
    Sauzo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
    Should i use the same stuff to attach eggcrate to the pvc?

Why? If you order AP cages, they send you 1 tube of Lexel per 2 cages with a minimum of 1 tube if you order only 1 cage.
  • 01-30-2018, 11:11 PM
    cba191
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Why? If you order AP cages, they send you 1 tube of Lexel per 2 cages with a minimum of 1 tube if you order only 1 cage.

I'm going to use eggcrate as a foundation for great stuff foam. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use the same stuff to attach that to the walls of the enclosure.