Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,026

2 members and 2,024 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,759
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
  • 07-14-2009, 12:13 PM
    Morphie
    Sellers, take care Kristy1277
    Kristy1277, also known as Kris, bought many things from me recently. Nearly everything I sold her, she asked for some kind of discount. Five bucks here, free stuff there. She bought my nicest snakes for steep discounts, then asked for more. She asked if i had more free water bottles to give her when she bought my rat cages and I said 'no', because i thought I gave them all to her. She came over with her friend to buy more stuff and spotted some spares I'd recently found in the closet. She asked me if she could have them all for free, I said yes if she gave one to her friend who was buying a cage. She proceeded to fight with the friend who picked one that she liked, even though she had just gotten a whole bag for free.

Enter the conflict: one of my females was gravid. Turns out she took when she was put together with my fire, who is now deceased. According to Kris, she laid some slugs and a possibly good egg, which looks not-that-great. I was devastated at the loss of my fire, and asked her if she would please give me the maybe-good egg. I didn't expect her to, because I've observed how stingy and selfish she has been with me and with her friend, and of course she said "no".

I know she is well within her rights to decline me this courtesy. I asked politely, I explained that it was a sentimental issue, that my fire departed suddenly and, I thought, left nothing of himself behind when he went. I don't care if the snake in this egg is a normal male, it's still important to me, and I explained that. I offered to trade something if that would help convince her, but it didn't. She told me that I should have kept the snake and she is sorry. That's fine, but it lacks empathy, especially considering how many things I gave into her about, regarding discounts and free items.

Did she hold up her end of the bargain? Yes, and for that reason she is a good trader. What makes her trade practices questionable is the constant talk-downs, and now, a complete lack of empathy for my situation after I had shown her a lot of good-will. She's not sketchy, just stingy and very selfish. If you're a nice person, be aware that she may well take advantage of that, and offer nothing in return if you request it, regardless of how personally important it is that she offer you some empathy.
  • 07-14-2009, 12:26 PM
    Freakie_frog
    Re: Sellers, take care Kristy1277
    Wow sounds cold..

Question: why did you sell the gravid female if the offspring meant so much to you?
  • 07-14-2009, 12:28 PM
    pavlovk1025
    Probably didnt know. I bought a snake that had laid the day before I showed up to pick it up, owner just didnt pay attention to ovulations and wasnt expecting a clutch. Stuff happens I suppose.
  • 07-14-2009, 12:32 PM
    littleindiangirl
    That's really slimy of her considering your offer. People are greedy, and since you said it was a fire that bred her, you can bet she is hoping for a fire out of the egg. I wouldn't have told her what was bred to it before I sold. She likely would have never known what a fire bp looks like, and could have easily sold it back to you.

That's all speculation of course, this person may feel entitled to tell you no for good reason, sorry for the bum luck.
  • 07-14-2009, 12:33 PM
    llovelace
    Well that's just awful, mean people suck
  • 07-14-2009, 12:53 PM
    frankykeno
    Well I guess I'll play the devil's advocate here but Morphie I don't see where you got taken advantage of at all.

If you decide as a seller to discount anything or give it away outright free, whether that is a living creature or a supply item, why is it the buyer's fault you made this decision? You have every right to say no to anything a buyer asks. You said yes, yet you come back later and want to blame another for your decisions?

As far as the gravid female, unless I'm mistaken you sold her not knowing if she was gravid or not. You did, however, pair this snake so the chance she was gravid was there. You made the decision not to wait out the time to find out if in fact a clutch sired by your now deceased fire was brewing.

As much as I feel bad for you regarding your fire, from a fair business standpoint I don't think you have a leg to stand on. If you had agreed to a sale wherein any resultant offspring where yours or split 50/50 but you didn't - you sold a possibly gravid female and now want to complain because your buyer didn't hand over a "bonus" type of offspring. Business is business Morphie and emotions like empathy do not have a place there nor can be demanded from someone.

I don't think you should be referring to someone else's "talksdowns" after you are publically calling another person out with some pretty negative terms yourself.
  • 07-14-2009, 12:57 PM
    pavlovk1025
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Well I guess I'll play the devil's advocate here but Morphie I don't see where you got taken advantage of at all.

If you decide as a seller to discount anything or give it away outright free, whether that is a living creature or a supply item, why is it the buyer's fault you made this decision? You have every right to say no to anything a buyer asks. You said yes, yet you come back later and want to blame another for your decisions?

As far as the gravid female, unless I'm mistaken you sold her not knowing if she was gravid or not. You did, however, pair this snake so the chance she was gravid was there and you must have decided not to wait out the time to find out if in fact a clutch sired by your now deceased fire was brewing.

As much as I feel bad for you regarding your fire, from a fair business standpoint I don't think you have a leg to stand on. If you had agreed to a sale wherein any resultant offspring where yours or split 50/50 but you didn't - you sold a possibly gravid female and now want to complain because your buyer didn't hand over a "bonus" type of offspring. Business is business Morphie and emotions like empathy do not have a place there nor can be demanded from a seller.

I don't think you should be referring to someone else's "talksdowns" after you are publically calling another person out with some pretty negative terms yourself.

I completely agree with you Jo, but he isn't here preaching about bad business. He gave her a bunch of extra stuff out of the goodness of his heart, not as a "seller" and is just upset that kindness is not reciprocated. I dont disagree with the way he feels. In the business sense, it was a fair deal and he added bonuses. But if you factor in the fact that we are humans, capable of emotion, then you can see where he is upset that she wasnt willing to be as kind as he was. If what he says is true, she is absolutely a selfish chick with a sense of entitlement based on her greed for water bottles.
  • 07-14-2009, 01:50 PM
    rabernet
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pavlovk1025 View Post
    I completely agree with you Jo, but he isn't here preaching about bad business. He gave her a bunch of extra stuff out of the goodness of his heart, not as a "seller" and is just upset that kindness is not reciprocated. I dont disagree with the way he feels. In the business sense, it was a fair deal and he added bonuses. But if you factor in the fact that we are humans, capable of emotion, then you can see where he is upset that she wasnt willing to be as kind as he was. If what he says is true, she is absolutely a selfish chick with a sense of entitlement based on her greed for water bottles.

Morphie is a she, actually.

When I give things to people out of the kindness of my heart, I don't require that they reciprocate, nor do I call them selfish when they don't. We're hearing one side of the story. I'd like to hear Kristy's side as well before I pass any judgement.

This post was made based on emotion, and has nothing to do with the transaction and whether Kristy is a good or bad person to do business with. I don't see how the emotional side of it is relevant to someone else doing business with her.
  • 07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
    Morphie
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    Wow sounds cold..

Question: why did you sell the gravid female if the offspring meant so much to you?

Had no idea she'd taken. No observed ovulation or swelling of any kind.
  • 07-14-2009, 01:58 PM
    Morphie
    I made it clear that I am not denouncing her as a business person, because she did everything right on that account.

That said, we are all human. I helped her out when she was short 10 bucks for the herpstat she was buying and let her have it anyway. I gave her the water bottles. This stuff came from me because I am a kind and helpful person, and I want to help people when I can.

Does she have to give me the egg? No. Should she? Yes, because even if it's a boring male normal, it would mean infinitely more to me to hatch and keep him than it would for her. She chooses not to, and that's fine, but it's really lame of her considering the kindness I offered when she needed it.

Yes, it's emotional, and that is what this thread is about. The business end of everything is fine, but don't let your emotions get involved with this girl, because she will not reciprocate or take care of yours, should you be the one in need.