Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,505

0 members and 2,505 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,179
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ReptiFreak

Should I be concerned?

Printable View

• 10-16-2007, 10:17 AM
    Snake Dave
    Should I be concerned?
    Hey everyone

I change my adult RP's (BP) water every two days, sometimes three if I get sidetracked. Yesterday was one of those days, weighed down with work, work and more work. I know that's not an excuse, but an extra day wouldn't hurt. Some people leave the same water in there for a week!

So anyway, I had to sort out her tank as well (thermostat probe etc.) So I decided to take her out. I handled her for a minute, then put her in her box.

So I took out the water bowl, and she'd obviously drank from it, but it also had pieces of gooey phlegm/saliva in it. Should I be worried, is this the sign of an RI? Or is it simply a normal indicator that she's stuck her mouth in there and drank lol.

Also, something that made me laugh. I put her back in after I'd sorted out her tank. So when she went in, she just moved her head a bit, then moved over the the water bowl, got excited and flicked her tongue loads, then tried to eat it lmao. She soon realised after opening her mouth that it was in fact a bowl and not a rodent.

Any help would be appreciated

All the best

David
  • 10-16-2007, 10:20 AM
    JLC
    Re: Should I be concerned?
    Well....I've never seen even a hint of phlegm or anything "gooey" around her waterbowl or anywhere else in the enclosure. :confuzd:
  • 10-16-2007, 10:21 AM
    jkobylka
    There is a certain amount of saliva that you will find in a waterbowl just from normal "healthy snake usage" A snake with RI will certainly leave a much larger amount. I wouldn't worry about it absent from any other symptom. Just keep a close eye on her.

btw, gj on changing the water often, a lot of ppl overlook that, but the cleaning keeps the bacteria load in the water down.

Justin
  • 10-16-2007, 10:37 AM
    Snake Dave
    Thanks Justin, no it's not an excessive amount, nor is she displaying any other RI symptoms, her temps are fine, I'm probably just overreacting.

But thanks, yeah I change it for all my reptiles every two days usually.