Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,814

2 members and 2,812 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Jcd5v (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
  • 10-18-2008, 12:05 AM
    Enve
    Care differences - BCI & BCC
    So I'm still very new to the wonderful world of boa's, and i'm curious what the husbandry & care differences are between BCI & BCC's. I see everyone recommending BCI's to first time Boa owners and was wondering why. I have a columbian boa right now but would LOVE to get either a Suri or Peruvian down the road (not anytime soon I'm just doing my research now so when I feel ready to get one I can). Thanks in advance :D
  • 10-18-2008, 01:26 AM
    td30
    Re: Care differences - BCI & BCC
    I am by no means an expert but I keep both species using very similar setups. I think BCC's have a reputation of being a little less tolerant of husbandry errors so that it why BCI's are recommended for a first boa. But if you have the husbandry nailed down for a BCI then I see no reason for the swith to BCC to be an issue. When researching this type of stuff I have found that everyone usually just repeats the information that has been written by a few of the more experienced BCC breeders. Who can argue with that? But the species overlap in the wild so how could the husbandry really be that different?
  • 10-18-2008, 08:17 AM
    fishmommy
    Re: Care differences - BCI & BCC
    the only two issues I am aware of are:
    BCC tend to get bigger than BCI, so you need to be ready for that

and the big reason:
    BCC are much more prone to digestive issues, especially when young.

so with a BCC (or BCA, which I have) you need to take extra measures to prevent regurgitation and impaction. This means having the discipline to feed smaller meals, not handle for 5 days after each meal, and not feed unless you've gotten a poop since last meal (when older you can go two meals between poops)

It's not difficult, just takes a little more attention.