Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,567

5 members and 2,562 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

D3rv (47)

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,612
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99

agitated ball python

Printable View

• 04-25-2005, 06:43 PM
    samspython
    agitated ball python
    can any advise why my ball python constantly strikes at persons outside his cage. he is able to be handled however when he is in his hide or basking and you get too close he strikes. we are beginning to get frightened.
    thanks
  • 04-25-2005, 06:48 PM
    Smulkin
    Re: agitated ball python
    Perhaps he feels too exposed and it's stressing him. You using a glass tank? In the meantime I'd give him a little privacy - maybe tape some newspaper or something of the sort up around the enclosure and give him some time to unwind. If it's in a heavy traffic area where a lot of people are going by (and the vibrations of their footsteps) you might want to move it. How are temps and humidity? Does he eat regularly?
  • 04-25-2005, 07:08 PM
    samspython
    he hasn't missed a meal, the temps and humidity are fine. He is in my sons room, not very much action around the tank. He can be held without striking.
  • 04-25-2005, 09:31 PM
    Smulkin
    But he strikes at the glass when people approach, right? I'd still say cover it up. Does he have the same reaction when reaching in from above to get him out?
  • 04-25-2005, 09:52 PM
    Adam_Wysocki
    Try smaller hides and some crumpled newspaper in the tank.

Also, what are his temps?

He sounds very stressed and insecure inside his cage and it can be fixed with the correct changes to your husbandry.

-adam
  • 04-25-2005, 11:43 PM
    Brandon.O
    Ive tried the "crumpled paper" techniqe and it worked very well for my agressive little corn snake.

It might not cure your snake of those agressive or "moody" tendencies but it might help.

Since you said everything thing temp wise is fine and there isnt much traffic i would do the crumpled paper thing.

Your snake just might have that kind of moody personality.My corn snake still gets a little crumpy from time to time.
  • 04-26-2005, 12:36 AM
    frankykeno
    Just a thought, we are newbies with BP's but parents of 4 kids...could it be that maybe without your knowing it your son or his friends might have taken to tapping on the glass to "get the snakes attention"...I know we've had to speak to our younger two about doing that at the local pet stores...they don't mean to upset the snakes but it just seems a kid's natural reaction to get a snake's attention this way and I would think if it did happen that might have set the snake up to be a bit snappy when someone approached the glass...kids don't understand about snakes and vibrations (heck I had to ask in another forum how a snake actually hears LOL) so we've talked with our 4 kids about this and plan to keep our new BP in our bedroom for awhile as our house is pretty active *understatement of the year*
  • 04-26-2005, 12:40 AM
    Adam_Wysocki
    LOL ... kinda like when my son gave his beta milk because it "looked thirsty" ... kids ROCK!! :D

-adam
  • 04-26-2005, 01:06 AM
    frankykeno
    LOL Adam.....*note to me...put Ping the betta even higher up than 4 year can reach*...we have to keep telling our 2 teenagers that it's NOT nice to teach the 4 year old to call one of our male rats "Big Balls Magee"!
  • 04-26-2005, 01:11 AM
    SatanicIntention
    That's so wrong, yet so funny :)

You should see a hairless male, they are even more funny looking. (I'm sorry Sneezy, please forgive me for making fun of your old-mannish body).