Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,732

0 members and 1,732 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,151
Threads: 248,593
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lunarlily28
  • 03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
    Texas Dan
    How long can you leave stuck shed?
    So I woke up on sunday, and Vincent had shed! Almost a full shed, just a little tiny bit on the end of his tail and the back of his head.

I fed him last night, I can wait a few days and soak him right? Or you think I should just wait until the next shed?

I didn't think there was a "time limit", just didn't want to do anything to hurt my snake.
  • 03-17-2008, 10:23 AM
    turk621
    Re: How long can you leave stuck shed?
    i would let him digest for two/thr ee days then give him a soak
  • 03-17-2008, 10:24 AM
    Texas Dan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by turk621 View Post
    i would let him digest for two/thr ee days then give him a soak

Yeah, I meant after the initial digestion period.. Thanks. :)

Edit: That sounded kinda rude. While I did mean after the initial digestion period, I wasn't sure if I should soak him or wait it out. So for real, thanks for the answer.
  • 03-17-2008, 11:01 AM
    monk90222
    Technically a few pieces of stuck shed won't hurt him at all. Unless of course its in a ring around him....You can just leave him until his next shed, up the humidity and it will all come off with the new shed.
  • 03-17-2008, 11:08 AM
    starmom
    And of course what Charlie meant was that if the shed is in a ring around his tail tip, you need to soak him to get it off or risk having the shed skin dry and cut off circulation to the tail tip- leading to all sorts of problems that you don't want for your snake. You don't want the vet bills either! :gj:
  • 03-17-2008, 11:12 AM
    monk90222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starmom View Post
    And of course what Charlie meant was that if the shed is in a ring around his tail tip, you need to soak him to get it off or risk having the shed skin dry and cut off circulation to the tail tip- leading to all sorts of problems that you don't want for your snake. You don't want the vet bills either! :gj:

Yup, I believe you explained it better!
  • 03-17-2008, 11:13 AM
    Texas Dan
    That's exactly what he has. After the 48 hour food period I'll clean it off asap.

I've heard putting your snake in a warm damp pillow case will help out. I may try that if soaking/wiping doesn't work.
  • 03-17-2008, 11:18 AM
    missi182
    There is a geat sticky in the husbandry section that shows how to get off stuck shed. Just give him a warm soak then let him crawl through a damp towel while holding both him and the towel. Im sure it will come off for you;) check out the sticky

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=43403
  • 03-17-2008, 11:33 AM
    Texas Dan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by missi182 View Post
    There is a geat sticky in the husbandry section that shows how to get off stuck shed. Just give him a warm soak then let him crawl through a damp towel while holding both him and the towel. Im sure it will come off for you;) check out the sticky

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=43403

Yeah, I could do that. But I don't like using tried and true methods. I like to make up my own stuff.
  • 03-17-2008, 11:43 AM
    starmom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skoalbasher View Post
    Yeah, I could do that. But I don't like using tried and true methods. I like to make up my own stuff.

yeah, and your snake likes his tail.... :weirdface