Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,120

0 members and 2,120 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,594
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW
  • 03-24-2020, 11:20 AM
    Kamryn
    20g long or 40g long tank for adult gargoyle gecko???
    Hi, would a 20g long work for a gargoyle gecko? I'm looking into getting a young gecko first and was curious if anyone has successfully uses long tanks as adults. Also wondering if a 40g would be better for the extra height.
  • 03-26-2020, 02:36 PM
    SilentHill
    Re: 20g long or 40g long tank for adult gargoyle gecko???
    you really want a taller enclosure. a company makes adapters to turn fish tanks into exoterra like enclosures.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  • 03-26-2020, 06:29 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Either would work but need to be turned sideway and fitted to that effect there are kits out there to do so.

I like a minimum of 18x18x24 for gangs they will use the space and it will give you enough room to have some nice climbing structures and plants.

And I will second exoterra or zoomed terrariums they will make your life a lot easier.
  • 03-27-2020, 11:33 AM
    Kamryn
    I've been looking at exos and it seems that would hold humidity better. When I had ball pythons, my first one was in a 20g tank. I noticed his enclosure would dry out fairly quick. I assume regular tanks wouldn't be the best idea in terms on height and humidity. Based on pictures, would a 20g on it's side even be as tall as the 18x18x24? I know 20gs are about 24" long so would that be an equivalent height on it's side? Been trying to get an idea on the size of exos in person since I haven't actually seen one yet. May even go for a larger exo eventually as well.
  • 03-27-2020, 11:54 AM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamryn View Post
    I've been looking at exos and it seems that would hold humidity better. When I had ball pythons, my first one was in a 20g tank. I noticed his enclosure would dry out fairly quick. I assume regular tanks wouldn't be the best idea in terms on height and humidity. Based on pictures, would a 20g on it's side even be as tall as the 18x18x24? I know 20gs are about 24" long so would that be an equivalent height on it's side? Been trying to get an idea on the size of exos in person since I haven't actually seen one yet. May even go for a larger exo eventually as well.

Fish tank dimensions can be found here it will depend on the manufacturer as well http://aquariumdimensions.com/

Now there are big advantages on having an exo-terra, zoo-med, or zilla terrarium and it is a screen top allowing you to have a dome with a light for daytime viewing or a grow light if you chose to go bioactive, and of course the front opening, if you get a conversion kit https://www.neherpetoculture.com/vertkits you will get the front opening but obviously will not have a top screen.

This is what you are looking at with moderately furnished cages (climbing structures and plants), those are 18x18x24 with a 18x18x36 in the middle.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6c45b5291c.jpg
  • 03-27-2020, 02:36 PM
    Kamryn
    Those look really nice and lots of space. I also didn't know about the 18x18x36. Is that also a exo?
  • 03-27-2020, 04:55 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamryn View Post
    Those look really nice and lots of space. I also didn't know about the 18x18x36. Is that also a exo?

The 18x18x36 is a zoo-med skyscraper, all bought at shows as pet stores prices are usually 50% higher.

Keep in mind smaller individual should be kept in smaller cages such as keeper critter, those are cages for larger animals and adults.