Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

1 members and 3,285 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,616
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
  • 10-26-2007, 01:51 PM
    sinner6669
    Looking for Breeder in Medina, OH Area
    Hey there all. I have done my homework (and alot of it I may add) and I am finally ready to get my 1st Ball Python. I would like to find a reputable breeder in the Medina or Summit County area of Ohio. I would like to find a slightly older Ball, maybe between 1 and 2 years old, perferably a normal pattern. All we really have is pet shops around here and I dont trust them as far as I can throw them LOL. Hope someone can help me. Thanxx in advance.:snake:
  • 10-26-2007, 02:25 PM
    ladywhipple02
    Re: Looking for Breeder in Medina, OH Area
    Hey Sinner!
    I used to live in Columbus, Ohio. I only know of a couple breeders up there in your area, but I believe they both mainly focus on boas.

However, there is a reptile show in Cleveland once every month---this month's is actually this coming Sunday! Here's the website: http://www.freewebs.com/shrz/index.htm

They also have a show in Columbus once a month. It's usually the same people... the Columbus show is held on Saturday, and the Cleveland show is held that Sunday.

This is probably your best bet for finding a BP. I've picked up a couple nice adults at the Columbus show in my time. If you're just looking for a pet, you might be able to find a snake that's up for adoption only... I picked up a beautiful female BP a year or so ago. She was probably a little over a year old, and the breeder was selling her for 60 bucks because she had a kinked spine and would never breed. She lives with another forum member now :)

Hope this helps...
  • 10-26-2007, 03:24 PM
    kc261
    Since you aren't looking for a hatchling you might consider seeing if you can get one from a rescue. I have no idea if there are any reptile rescues in your area. Maybe someone else can help with that.

I do not recommend you try to rescue one yourself since you don't have the experience to deal with the various problems a rescued snake might have. But getting one that has been rescued by someone that knows what they are doing and brought back into good health and established in a good feeding pattern should work out well.
  • 10-26-2007, 03:27 PM
    ladywhipple02
    I don't know of any rescues in Cleveland area... but there's a nice one in Cincy if you're willing to make the drive, and a couple in Pennsylvania.

Rescues very rarely have the resources to ship... or simply refuse to do so.
  • 10-26-2007, 03:37 PM
    Reptilian
    To the best of my knowledge there aren't any rescues in the Cleveland area. It's a shame...

There is one in Cincinnati (http://www.arrowheadreptilerescue.org/) as Lynn said and there is one in Sandusky that are accepting animals on a limited basis (the owner is having medical issues)(http://herphavenreptilerescue.org/), they might have some in need of homes.
  • 10-26-2007, 03:50 PM
    Dusty
    you may want to see if
    http://www.freecycle.org/
    has something in your area that you can join.

i got one of my females from off this site.
    best of all FREE ;)
  • 10-26-2007, 04:49 PM
    Broseph
    I live 20 minutes north west of cleveland and i dont know of any rescues besides the one in the for mentioned post. have you consider going throgh a breeder here that can ship. my first bought snake was from a breeder here and it was a normal female, and it was really inexpensive, you pay for the shipping which was more then the snake but at least i knew i was going to get a well taken care of animal.
  • 10-26-2007, 05:01 PM
    catawhat75
    If you don't end up going with a breeder who will ship (there are lots of great ones on this site.), then I suggest going to the Cleveland show. People I can think of that I highly recommend are Carl Aiken, Eric Erb (Platinum Reptiles/Reptile Tubs) or Tim Koppenhoffer of Special K. Tim is who I deal with quite a bit and he is always willing to spend time answering questions for a newbie. I know there are others who go there who are good too, but I go to the Columbus show so I am not sure who else goes to Cleveland. Good Luck!
    Ingrid
  • 10-26-2007, 05:04 PM
    sinner6669
    Just wondering, and it wasn't exactly covered in any books I read, but how do Balls deal with being shipped? I would imagine it would be rather stressful to them. If someone could point me in the direction of one it would be greatle appreciated
  • 10-26-2007, 05:09 PM
    ladywhipple02
    Quote:

Originally Posted by catawhat75 View Post
    If you don't end up going with a breeder who will ship (there are lots of great ones on this site.), then I suggest going to the Cleveland show. People I can think of that I highly recommend are Carl Aiken, Eric Erb (Platinum Reptiles/Reptile Tubs) or Tim Koppenhoffer of Special K. Tim is who I deal with quite a bit and he is always willing to spend time answering questions for a newbie. I know there are others who go there who are good too, but I go to the Columbus show so I am not sure who else goes to Cleveland. Good Luck!
    Ingrid

I forgot about Tim from Special K... definitely a good guy! :gj:

And shipping is pretty stressful on them... but a breeder of any worth will package well. Insulation on the inside, appropriately sized deli-cup or bag, heat pad or cool pad depending on the weather.

It is still recommended, however, that, once you receive your snake, you immediately put him in his tub/tank and leave him alone for a week to relax. Once he starts eating, then you can start with short handling periods.