Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,563

2 members and 2,561 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,589
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala
  • 04-03-2009, 09:08 PM
    zackw419
    Are there any snakes that...
    ..don't carry out solitary lives in the wild, but live among each other (in close quarters)?
  • 04-03-2009, 09:15 PM
    temec
    Re: Are there any snakes that...
    some people house carpets together year round....
  • 04-03-2009, 09:38 PM
    DutchHerp
    Well, I wouldn't want to call Thamnophis social animals, but they do hibernate in groups of over 10K.

Same with rattlesnakes, kings, and other species, they hibernate in the same dens.
  • 04-03-2009, 09:43 PM
    littleindiangirl
    Do you mean can snakes be social? I don't personally think they can be labelled as social because that would require communication and social heirarchies that snakes do not exhibit, but I do believe that advanced keepers can successfully keep some species of snakes together.
  • 04-03-2009, 09:45 PM
    Colin Vestrand
    i take it you mean like in the sense that swans mate for life or deer run in herds?
    in this case, no... other than communal dens, which a lot of hibernating snakes use, i don't think there are any species along these lines... on an evolutionary scale, they just aren't that far along.
  • 04-04-2009, 02:06 AM
    zackw419
    thanks for the info, interesting points. I didn't even think snakes would hibernate together..
  • 04-04-2009, 07:27 AM
    Neal
    Some species of snakes hibernate together, as they tolerate each other. I wouldn't technically call it social though. It just all depends on the species.
  • 04-04-2009, 08:05 AM
    Colin Vestrand
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zackw419 View Post
    thanks for the info, interesting points. I didn't even think snakes would hibernate together..

oh man, you haven't lived till you've seen garters coming out of hibernation!

do you ever do any herping? around here you can go out in mid-april and if you know where to look or if you just get lucky you can find great masses of them coming out of the rocks.
  • 04-04-2009, 10:17 AM
    Montessa Python
    ALthough corns aren't social snakes in the wild, people keep same sized ones together with little issue.
    Just a thought.
  • 04-04-2009, 12:21 PM
    zackw419
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Vestrand View Post
    oh man, you haven't lived till you've seen garters coming out of hibernation!

do you ever do any herping? around here you can go out in mid-april and if you know where to look or if you just get lucky you can find great masses of them coming out of the rocks.

Awesome, I have herped around since Costa Rica. I've been meaning to though. I promised myself I would find a rattlesnake. I've never seen one in the wild.