Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,635

2 members and 1,633 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,195
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Hot-Rod1088
  • 09-26-2018, 09:40 AM
    ckuhn003
    Offering Duration While on Non Feeding Hiatus
    Hey There......

My BP has always been a finicky eater. I've encountered everything from having to drop the prey and leave, issues with conversion from f/t mice to rats, etc, etc.......

My latest bout has been a 6 week hiatus from eating which too many is probably par for the course with BPs and possibly a short amount of time. When times are good, I offer once a week but when he starts to reject the meals I would space them out to 2 weeks and some times 3. Well last night, I offered expecting the same rejection but he was pretty aggressive and took the rat with hardly any hesitation. I'm not sure if it was the extra scenting I did with the 'dirty mouse bedding' or that he was just hungry from the 6 week hiatus. Regardless I'm extremely happy and wondering if I should try again next week or keep the 2 week feeding schedule.

For the record, he's about two years old and was a little over 500 grams but down to 470ish from the 6 week non feeding hiatus.

Thanks!

Chris
  • 09-26-2018, 12:57 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    Re: Offering Duration While on Non Feeding Hiatus
    I'd stick to the bi-weekly feeding schedule until he's eaten a few times consecutively. You can shorten the duration between feedings once you know he's definitely back on track. At that age and size I'd be feeding every 10-14 days routinely.
  • 09-26-2018, 01:35 PM
    dakski
    If he continues to refuse. I’d move to every 3-4 weeks for offering.

My BP female, Shayna, usually starts her fast around now give or take and doesn’t eat for 5 months.

I offer monthly after after I am sure she is fasting.
  • 09-26-2018, 02:07 PM
    bcr229
    I have a few finicky males like yours. Even when they are eating they don't get offered a feeder more often than every two weeks, and never while in shed.

I understand how majorly annoying it can be; it's one reason I picked up a few boas to eat the leftovers each week.
  • 09-26-2018, 02:14 PM
    ckuhn003
    Thanks for sharing your opinions Ziggy and Daski. Those sound like some good rules to abide by. My concern was if he continues to eat at this rate will he ever put weight on or is he forever going to be on the small size (assuming the 500 gram mark).
  • 09-26-2018, 02:24 PM
    ckuhn003
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I have a few finicky males like yours. Even when they are eating they don't get offered a feeder more often than every two weeks, and never while in shed.

I understand how majorly annoying it can be; it's one reason I picked up a few boas to eat the leftovers each week.

My thoughts as well. I'm looking forward to the day my Boa gets to the size where he can take the BP size feeders ;)
  • 09-26-2018, 03:57 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    Oh the joy of keeping BPs. When he's eating regularly you can increase his feeding frequency. When he's hit or miss just space his feedings out a little more. Eventually he'll reach the size he's meant to be. You won't stunt his growth.