Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,344

3 members and 3,341 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Btripp08 (38)

» Stats

Members: 75,150
Threads: 248,591
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Dbook
  • 06-28-2008, 09:59 AM
    stangs13
    When are they considered smalls?
    I have one group of rats that was weaned last week, and one thatt was weaned 2 weeks ago, when will they be up to small size? What will the weight be?
  • 06-28-2008, 10:03 AM
    dalvers63
    Re: When are they considered smalls?
    I have always used the weights on the RodentPro site to judge. They sell their smalls between 45-84 grams.

One thing I noticed is that my rats LOOK smaller than that but when I weighed the ones I thought were getting close to that they were all over 90g. Next time I'll know to check weights sooner. :)
  • 06-28-2008, 12:12 PM
    Drew87
    When you say you "weaned" did you just take them away from the mother and gave them hard food? because i have a litter thats almost at 4 weeks and im kinda confused do i just take them away and seperate?
  • 06-28-2008, 12:18 PM
    stangs13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew87 View Post
    When you say you "weaned" did you just take them away from the mother and gave them hard food? because i have a litter thats almost at 4 weeks and im kinda confused do i just take them away and seperate?

Yup thats what i did, they already started eating and drinking on there own, and very rarely nurse.
  • 06-28-2008, 12:26 PM
    littleindiangirl
    My smalls are going to be between 4 and 5 weeks of age. At 6 wks the males are definitely medium size and over the 150 gram range.

My rats are weaned at the age of 3 1/2 weeks. They are consistently between 60-80grams, with the average being 65 grams.
    For me:
    Small are considered to be at 100 grams (4-5 weeks for males)
    Mediums are 180+ grams (5-6 weeks for males)

Hope that makes sense.

Drew, yes, separate the males from the females into appropriate tubs no later than 5 weeks. Males can mate successfully at 5 weeks of age. Failure to do so will result in a multitude of pregnancies from both the mothers and her daughters.
  • 06-28-2008, 12:29 PM
    stangs13
    I need to euthanize some males! Im fixing to have 20 medium males...:O
  • 06-28-2008, 12:52 PM
    Drew87
    Thank you everyone :D
  • 06-28-2008, 01:10 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stangs13 View Post
    I have one group of rats that was weaned last week, and one thatt was weaned 2 weeks ago, when will they be up to small size? What will the weight be?

It really depends on the person or seller.

I call small a 4 weeks old rat which is what I usually feed.
  • 06-28-2008, 01:22 PM
    stangs13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    It really depends on the person or seller.

I call small a 4 weeks old rat which is what I usually feed.

Then what do you call a weanling? Cause that is what I age I weaned at.:oops: I will be making a trip to the local walmart for euthanasia material! i will have to make a thread of my Co2 chamber. I personal think that balls should be fed on something a little bigger than smalls. I guess I just am being an ignorant and worrying teenager..lol. But I listen to my elders.:bow:
  • 06-28-2008, 01:31 PM
    frankykeno
    We wean at 4 weeks of age. I call them weans (or weanlings) at that point. About a week to 2 weeks post weaning I called them smalls. The males of course grow generally bigger and faster than their female littermates so I usually feed them off first to avoid them over-growing our size needs. I haven't a clue quite honestly what they weigh. I just go by knowing our snakes and having a fairly decent "eye" for appropriate feeder size. Depending on the size of the litter, the quality of the mothering they got, the genetics, etc. you can see quite a lot of variance if you go purely by age.