Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,233

0 members and 1,233 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Btripp08 (38)

» Stats

Members: 75,150
Threads: 248,591
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Dbook

New here. Wierd Question

Printable View

• 03-11-2009, 05:41 PM
    VisaRayn
    New here. Wierd Question
    Hello. I have been kinda lurking around here for a few months now getting info before getting a Ball. I am now the proud owner of Serj-My normal Ball Python.

But I noticed something a bit weird yesterday. He (We think he is a he. My husband and I have debates on it and we haven't gotten him probed as of yet) was having his weekly dinner yesterday, and he stuck and wrapped around the mouse fine, but after he knocked it out he let go and went off and decided to take a swim in his water bowl.

Any thoughts?

By the way, he did have mites, however we just got that back under control.

Rah ^_^
  • 03-11-2009, 05:44 PM
    Slim
    Re: New here. Wierd Question
    Falls under the catagory of, "they do that sometimes".

What did you do to treat the mites?
  • 03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
    gu1do24
    did he eat it after? if so I would say nothing is wrong he just wanted to take a dip.
  • 03-11-2009, 05:46 PM
    ScottyDsntKnow
    They are finnicky sometimes. The mites are probably what did it, he got all itchy and needed relief and that overrode his urge to feed.
  • 03-11-2009, 05:57 PM
    VisaRayn
    To get rid of the mites, I took everything out of his tank, baked all of the furnitire for about 20 mintues, scrubbed out the take with water and replaced the substrate with papertowls for about a week. I also got some of this zoomed mite spray and went over the tank and him with it.
    Nope, he just kinda left it there and after about 15 minutes or so, I took it out.

Thank you for your responses, by the way. :D

I didn't see any other posts about that when I looked, so I didn't know if it was just something that they did from time to time. Hopefully, I will get some pictures up soon

Rah
  • 03-11-2009, 05:59 PM
    Freakie_frog
    The mite are a parasite that live on your snake and end up on the surrounding stuff as a byproduct.

Your best bet is to get a comerically available "REPTILE" mite treatment like Provent-a-Mite or Black Knight or the like. Its the only way to fully get rid of them.
  • 03-11-2009, 06:04 PM
    Slim
    Ed is dead on. Unless you use Provent A Mite or Black Knight, they will be back in 30 days...that's how long it takes for mite eggs to hatch. PAM and BK are the only things I know of that will kill the eggs.