Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,200

1 members and 1,199 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,207
Threads: 248,621
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, underscore
  • 12-20-2018, 12:49 AM
    tttaylorrr
    the first feeding is such a relief!
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2e216e5593.jpg

and then you have a snake like my B.Pastel, who hissed the ENTIRE time; she literally just sat in her hide hissing. i couldn't even see her but she was trying so hard to sound intimidating hahaha. she took quite a few defensive strikes; she refused her mouse (in hindsight it might have been a bit small?) but im not worried. she left a huge poop for me today so i can only assume she wasn't hungry and just wanted peace lol; i changed her paper towel after i realized she wasn't eating. still left the feeder in the tub tho.

the Pastel Bamboo boy struck fairly readily so that was nice. [emoji4] that first feeding never gets old!
  • 12-20-2018, 01:08 AM
    tttaylorrr
    Re: the first feeding is such a relief!
    just a side note: 9/10 snake eating ain't bad!
  • 12-20-2018, 01:28 AM
    Bogertophis
    Maybe your hissy B. pastel is going into shed soon?
    Hope you don't have nightmares...hissing beeps are so terrifying! :rolleyes: :rofl:
  • 12-20-2018, 01:33 AM
    tttaylorrr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Maybe your hissy B. pastel is going into shed soon?
    Hope you don't have nightmares...hissing beeps are so terrifying! :rolleyes: :rofl:

hahahaha, i honestly thought the same! her coloring was so dark when i got her (tho im so unfamiliar with B.Pastel) but we'll see how she is in the next few days.

my Pastel Bamboo seems to have cleared up before shedding so i think that's why he was feelin' it. hoping to see him shed real soon!
  • 12-20-2018, 01:46 AM
    Sunnieskys
    Another snake trying to kill you lol.
  • 12-20-2018, 01:48 AM
    Bogertophis
    I've seen some pretty silly snakes (like baby rat snakes, even) have a hissy-fit when going into shed & heaven-forbid, I offered them food. :O I love it! ;)

And yeah, once they clear up, many will eat anyway, & then "split their seams" of the old skin after they swallow a mouse. Snakes are a hoot!
  • 12-20-2018, 01:51 AM
    tttaylorrr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Another snake trying to kill you lol.

LOL.

the whole "dark snakes/Cinnamon/Black Pastel morphs are aggressive" myth is starting to make a conspiracy theorist out of me!!!

after owning a snake like Coffee Bean - who has mellowed out immensely but still flies out of her tub like she's starving - these snappy beeps don't bother me anymore. if anything i love it!
  • 12-20-2018, 02:00 AM
    Bogertophis
    Yeah, I'd rather have a feisty snake that EATS easily than a sweet marshmallow that doesn't...'cause I'm pretty secure about taming, but it's so hard to inspire
    some snakes to eat & thrive. (in the wild, I'm sure some of them wouldn't, but when they're our pets it's a battle we fight)

Speaking of feisty, what ever happened with those treacherous little BPs you were working with, Sunnieskys? Any luck?
  • 12-20-2018, 01:27 PM
    tttaylorrr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yeah, I'd rather have a feisty snake that EATS easily than a sweet marshmallow that doesn't...'cause I'm pretty secure about taming, but it's so hard to inspire some snakes to eat & thrive. (in the wild, I'm sure some of them wouldn't, but when they're our pets it's a battle we fight)

i'm secure in "taming" them, too; that only worried me with my first snappy hatchling.

the irony is i have the opposite of typical hatchling issues: i have a docile, sweet boy that readily ate, and a hissy brat who was too pissed off to eat lol.

i emailed her breeder last night to let him know the update: he said she gets easily distracted by anything in the room so i need to give her some "space" (letting her come out on her own, then offer?). i was feeding with the lights on so that couldn't have helped her at all. i'm sure she'll get more comfortable soon.

i was honestly dying tho: like i left her alone, came back a bit later and as i walk towards the room i can still hear her! she was still just sitting in her hide hissing away as loud as she could. i was laughing so hard i couldn't help it lol. :rofl:
  • 12-20-2018, 01:49 PM
    WhompingWillow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i'm secure in "taming" them, too; that only worried me with my first snappy hatchling.

the irony is i have the opposite of typical hatchling issues: i have a docile, sweet boy that readily ate, and a hissy brat who was too pissed off to eat lol.

i emailed her breeder last night to let him know the update: he said she gets easily distracted by anything in the room so i need to give her some "space" (letting her come out on her own, then offer?). i was feeding with the lights on so that couldn't have helped her at all. i'm sure she'll get more comfortable soon.

i was honestly dying tho: like i left her alone, came back a bit later and as i walk towards the room i can still hear her! she was still just sitting in her hide hissing away as loud as she could. i was laughing so hard i couldn't help it lol. :rofl:

OMG that's fantastic. The mental image of this tiny little beast just hissing away... :D