Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,606

0 members and 2,606 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kam (43)
meganp (24)

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,596
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW
    Thanks

Genetic Stripe Q

Okay, so I know most people look for solid stripes with no breaks when in the market for a genetic stripe, but I was wondering; Can a snake with a full stripe have offspring with breaks, even when bred to another animal with no breaks? Or can an animal with breaks in its stripe have offspring with no breaks? Is it kind of like high and low white pieds? I hope that made sense.

Thanks!
    You know you're into reptiles when...

" You tell people on the phone 'I can't talk now, I've got a lizard on my head!!!' " (NERD)

Thanks

Re: Genetic Stripe Q

A true Genetic Stripe looks almost patternless other than the dorsal stripe.

Normals striping is not genetic, more often than not.
    1.0: Honey Bee | Lesser | Banana Pastel Enchi | Clown 66% Het Albino
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo Serpent For This Useful Post:

BallPythons9 (06-15-2009)

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythons9 View Post
    Okay, so I know most people look for solid stripes with no breaks when in the market for a genetic stripe, but I was wondering; Can a snake with a full stripe have offspring with breaks, even when bred to another animal with no breaks? Or can an animal with breaks in its stripe have offspring with no breaks? Is it kind of like high and low white pieds? I hope that made sense.

Thanks!
    Basically, its like Pieds.

Good Stripes can throw broken stripes, and vice versa.

But as I understand it, some are more prone to throw what they look like.

Take the Cryptics from EBN... They are most always broken stripes..

So, bottom line is that it can happen, but it is more likely to be broken with brokens, and solids with solids, but don't count on it as fact.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyOhh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    Actually for the last couple years, Sean has been holding back the most aberrant broken Stripes from the clutches, and breeding them to each other, in an attempt to make something that looks completely different (i.e. a Stripe that looks nothing like a stripe). I can't wait to see what happens with EbN's stuff in the future.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muddoc For This Useful Post:

BallPythons9 (06-15-2009),Spaniard (06-14-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

A breeder I know had some interesting results with his genetic stripe pair. I don't have any pictures but as I remember the parents are pretty good stripes. Maybe not perfectly unbroken but then again it's been years since I saw them and one or the other might even be perfect.

The first year he bred them ALL of the babies came out with lots of side pattern. You could tell they weren’t normals but at the time I didn't even know genetic stripes could look like that because you never used to see posted pictures with that much side pattern. The next time he bred the SAME pair ALL of the babies where much cleaner striped than the first clutch.

This got me thinking that there might be an environmental factor. One of the old books used to talk about non genetic striping due to extreme development temperature (can't remember if cool or hot). If temp differences can cause a non genetic striped animal to stripe maybe they can affect the degree of striping in genetic stripes?

However, I've posted inquiries about this several time and an experienced genetic stripe breeder reported that he actually tried different incubation temperatures and didn't find that it made a difference. Another theory was posted that genes in the pair affected the quality of stripe and it just happened to work out that the first clutch all got the genetics for side pattern and the ones in the 2nd clutch didn't.

I'm still considering the possibility that there is an environmental variable and something about the one year produced different looking stripes than the other. Maybe it could be affected by diet or even the temp of the mother before the eggs are laid. But if people are consistently seeing divergent stripe types through selective breeding this would tend to point toward genetics over environment.

Does EBN also breed for unbroken stripes in a separate line? If the same feeding, housing, and incubation regiment can consistently produce broken stripes from one line and unbroken stripes from another that would be a strong argument in favor of genetics being the determining factor in stripe type. Otherwise how do we know that maybe there is something about EBN's environment that just happens to favor the breaks (not saying it's necessarily anything good or bad about husbandry, could be something as simple as feeding brand X vs. brand Y rat chow or how wet you think incubation media should or should not be).

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RandyRemington For This Useful Post:

BallPythons9 (06-15-2009),LGL (06-14-2009),scutechute (06-15-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    Basically, its like Pieds.

Good Stripes can throw broken stripes, and vice versa.

But as I understand it, some are more prone to throw what they look like.

So, bottom line is that it can happen, but it is more likely to be broken with brokens, and solids with solids, but don't count on it as fact.
    Thanks, that was a perfect explanation!

" You tell people on the phone 'I can't talk now, I've got a lizard on my head!!!' " (NERD)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRemington View Post
    A breeder I know had some interesting results with his genetic stripe pair. I don't have any pictures but as I remember the parents are pretty good stripes. Maybe not perfectly unbroken but then again it's been years since I saw them and one or the other might even be perfect.

The first year he bred them ALL of the babies came out with lots of side pattern. You could tell they weren’t normals but at the time I didn't even know genetic stripes could look like that because you never used to see posted pictures with that much side pattern. The next time he bred the SAME pair ALL of the babies where much cleaner striped than the first clutch.

This got me thinking that there might be an environmental factor. One of the old books used to talk about non genetic striping due to extreme development temperature (can't remember if cool or hot). If temp differences can cause a non genetic striped animal to stripe maybe they can affect the degree of striping in genetic stripes?

However, I've posted inquiries about this several time and an experienced genetic stripe breeder reported that he actually tried different incubation temperatures and didn't find that it made a difference. Another theory was posted that genes in the pair affected the quality of stripe and it just happened to work out that the first clutch all got the genetics for side pattern and the ones in the 2nd clutch didn't.

I'm still considering the possibility that there is an environmental variable and something about the one year produced different looking stripes than the other. Maybe it could be affected by diet or even the temp of the mother before the eggs are laid. But if people are consistently seeing divergent stripe types through selective breeding this would tend to point toward genetics over environment.

Does EBN also breed for unbroken stripes in a separate line? If the same feeding, housing, and incubation regiment can consistently produce broken stripes from one line and unbroken stripes from another that would be a strong argument in favor of genetics being the determining factor in stripe type. Otherwise how do we know that maybe there is something about EBN's environment that just happens to favor the breaks (not saying it's necessarily anything good or bad about husbandry, could be something as simple as feeding brand X vs. brand Y rat chow or how wet you think incubation media should or should not be).
    Very interesting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRemington View Post

I believe that I know which stripes you refer to and they came out looking very much like a mix between normals and g-stripes. And that while thought to be very broken stripes it was still hard to tell or determine what was going on. But he did tell me that me had some kinda really outta wack something happen during incubation and he believed that this is what caused them to look so abberant. Last I knew he had a couple females that shoulda been up to size this year to prove them genetic.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearless For This Useful Post: