Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,738

0 members and 1,738 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,604
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Are there any snakes that are moderately to highly active?

Obviously this is Ball Pythons.net, so yeah we all know the snakes that like to sit under newspaper or in hides 24/6. But I'm watching The Beauty of Snakes from Discovery HD and the narrator mentioned "their hunger satisfied,most snakes prefer peace and solitude until it's time to mate." So I want to know about the odd men out, the ones who spend most of their time roaming and exploring and this behavior is normal, not stressed.

Oh and she (or should I say "the script") could have been talking about the dens the spend their time hibernating in (aka the times they want to cudle up with other snakes instead of spending their time alone) and obviously I know about that and it's not what I'm interested in.

So does anyone know of any at least moderately active snakes, the ones who will explore and move around as much as possible instead of sitting in a cute little coil under a butter container?
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are there any snakes that are moderately to highly active?

My cornsnakes, ratsnakes, and other similar snakes which I had as a child were pretty active and curious. My hognose was usually showing off his cute little face, too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheOtherLeadingBrand For This Useful Post:

Oxylepy (06-09-2009)

Thanks

King cobra

Thanks

My Western Hognose is cruising and burrowing during daylight hours all the time.As soon as the sun goes down,she disappears.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

The False Water Cobra is one one the most alert and active species I have ever had the pleasure to hold. They get a rather good size but still are extremely agile, quick and alert. Impressive animals

Ridgecrest, California...Gateway to Death Valley!
    Thanks

I catch and release Red Racers all the time. Those guys are so active its amazing, but man they bite.
    Last edited by XGetSome; 06-13-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: I can spell, I just cant type....lol

Thanks

I catch my rosy romping around her tank all the time. If you see her awake she'll go up to the glass to say hello too! Very responsive and friendly snakes
    Zack

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.

Thanks

The black racers I've caught and observed are very active; I've had one living in my garage for about a year eating toads and he's always been very quick and alert, as has the larger one which lives on our property. I don't know that they'd be that active in captivity, but I never catch them just sitting around, lol.
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I believe at least some species of garters are quite active, but I don't know much about them.

I know that corns and many of the other ratsnakes are at least more active than BPs, but many of them will still spend a significant amount of time in their hide. Based on my experience with corns, it depends partly on the individual snake, and also they tend to hide more as babies but get more active & outgoing as they mature.

Kings & milks can be pretty active & outgoing too. In particular, I've heard a lot of people say this about Arizona Mtn kings, but that may have to do with me asking questions about this species because I want to own one someday, than it being more active than other kings.
    Casey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    I believe at least some species of garters are quite active, but I don't know much about them.

I know that corns and many of the other ratsnakes are at least more active than BPs, but many of them will still spend a significant amount of time in their hide. Based on my experience with corns, it depends partly on the individual snake, and also they tend to hide more as babies but get more active & outgoing as they mature.

Kings & milks can be pretty active & outgoing too. In particular, I've heard a lot of people say this about Arizona Mtn kings, but that may have to do with me asking questions about this species because I want to own one someday, than it being more active than other kings.
    My AMK is very alert when being held, but he constantly hides under his water bowl or in his hide in his cage. I've never seen him roaming his tub once when I go to feed or handle him.

To the OP, I think most of my corns are pretty active, none really like their hides very much (and I often remove them) as well as hognoses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast