Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,584

2 members and 2,582 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kam (43)
meganp (24)

» Stats

Members: 75,155
Threads: 248,596
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Upstream Morphs
    Thanks

Question Help with humidity

Hi, i got my first pet ball python last week, seems young, only 44cm (17.5 inches) long, after wanting a snake for about 9 years.

Anyway, i have it setup in a glass tank with a screen lid, a heat bulb for day, attached to a thermostat with a setting of 31-32 degrees celcius (87-89 farenheit) for the basking spot. Im living in Taiwan, and in summer (starting now) the average temp is 30(86) during the day, droppin maybe 1degree at night. But not usually. But the temp can go up to 32-36 (89.6-96.8).

At night I set the basking spot to 27C (80 F), but it never comes on as the ambient temp in the viv is 28C (82.4F).

Firstly, is that OK? If not, how can I lower the temp?
    Secondly, the humidity is at 69%-72%. I dont spray with water and I don't cover the top.
    I have been reading on a lot of different sites and it seems the humidity is too high, so I need help lowering the humidity.

The viv contents are as follows: Repti-Bark as the substrate, a decent sized water bowl (on the furthest side from the basking spot), a wood 'cave' in the middle that he can hide in, 2 real plants separating the basking area from the rest of the tank and a branch for him to explore on. The tank is 23 inches L x 8.5 inches W.

If anyone can help me out, give suggestions/advice, it will be greatly appreciated. I just want to have the viv as close to perfect for him as possible.

Thanks a lot!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Help with humidity

I don't have a ball, but do have a boa, but I have been reading this forum well. from what I've read, get your basking spot to 90-92 and leave it. No night drop unless you're breeding. Get your ambient to about 84-88 and leave it. Humidity should be about 60-80 %

Thanks

Re: Help with humidity

-Don't worry about programming in a night-time temperature drop. Keep ~88-90 hot side, ~80 cool side all day and night. Ambient in mid 80's is good.

-Ball pythons can tolerate a wide range of humidity. The Barker's point out that in burrows in the wild, people have measured humidity as high as 100%. The only problem with high humidity is bacteria/mold building up so watch out for that. But if you keep your enclosure clean it shouldn't be a problem. In the summer time my ambient humidity goes up as well, just keep things clean.

-Watch out for that Repti-Bark so your snake doesn't ingest it. Aspen, newspaper, and paper towels would be safer substrates.

-You should have two identical hide boxes, one on the cool side one on the hot side (so the snake has a choice, rather than being stuck in the middle).

Hope that helps,

JonV