Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,846

1 members and 2,845 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kam (43)
meganp (24)

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,596
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW
    Thanks

Regarding mouth movement/behavior

Does/has anyones ball ever opened their mouth like a quarter of the way (kind of like a half yawn, & they do it like 3 or 4 times...like open-close-open-close)??
    Because my ball did that today plus his normal yawning that he does every night for the most part. It makes me think of a possible RI. And ive read the threads about signs..such as" bubbly mucuos around the mouth, bubbles coming out of nose, etc. He doesnt have any of that from what i can see with my own eyes. And he doesnt make any "popping" "wheezing" or "whistling" at all. But like i said the yawning is a normal occurance every night, and then what happened tonight with those 1/4 open n' close's of the mouth. (kind of looked like it was talking, or chewing lol). I'm just wondering if a vet trip is nescesary?..I have an exotic's vet close to where i live and i have the $65 for the full exam.

*And by the way, he had ate a pretty good sized meal last night, and had soaked in his dish the whole night until morning.

thanx once again guys & gals

Thanks

Re: Regarding mouth movement/behavior

Hmmmm, why would he soak all night long? Have you thought about maybe putting a smaller bowl in there that he can't soak in? Then again, maybe he needed a soak.
    That's the thing about these guys~ there are so many variables to look at before being able to even maybe answer your question. That's why we always start by asking the basic questions about husbandry since so many errors are made in this realm that lead to undesirable consequences.
    For instance, when you say he soaked all night, I instantly think of mites and security issues. When you say he's moving his mouth weird, I wonder about substrate being caught in there or an abscess or an RI.
    Than I wonder if you're just micromanaging the snake's every movement and it's really nothing...
    I'd save your 65 bucks unless you'd feel good about giving him a check-up....

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery