Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 775

1 members and 774 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
    Thanks

Time Frame for Feeding?

Just wondering how long everyone waits?

I usually do like once every 3 weeks.

Is this bad?

I just get skits out because there have been so many times he hasnt eaten coming out of winter and I gotta let the rat go down the woods.

Thanks

Re: Time Frame for Feeding?

I feed my girl 1x every three weeks. I know some people do small meals 1x a week, but her previous owners would make her go a month or two without eating because they thought she'd get too big >_< So I figure 1x every 3 weeks is a good compromise. If she acts hungry before that, I feed. her. I let her decide when she eats. I know because when I open the tank she'll stand up and come to the top. then we go to the reptile show and get a small rat. *shrug* Might seem irresponsible to some, but since she's had such a strange feeding schedule before, I figure letting her decide when to eat is best for a little while. Tell me if this is detrimental to her...

Thanks

*edit* That's not to say she ALWAYS decides when to eat. She does have somewhat of a set schedule so that I know when she's not eating.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N4S
    Just wondering how long everyone waits?

I usually do like once every 3 weeks.

Is this bad?

I just get skits out because there have been so many times he hasnt eaten coming out of winter and I gotta let the rat go down the woods.
    Most people here feed once a week a small small rat.

Feeding every 3 weeks is not a good pattern for your ball and can cause poor consistency. This may be the reason why your ball stops eating at times.

Also, your comment about "let the rat go down the woods" I really hope you don't mean you are letting the rat go (like freedom) in the woods? This is not only illegal in most states it is also not nice as the rat is a domestic animal and unlikely to be able to survive on its own. You would be better of euthanizing it if you cannot keep it till your ball is ready to feed.
    Sean

Thanks

^ Good points.

Getting her on a schedule would be a good idea. I think I may try like a 2x a week deal.

I think I'm gonna like this board. So much stuff I read so far that I never even heard of.

Thanks

I can't try anything new now since mine looks like she's going into shed. I hope so; she never lost her eye caps from the last shed. I wanna see those beautiful baby blacks. -lol- But anyway, she's been eating medium rats because thats what the owner of my local specialty reptile store suggested she eat when I brought her in. Personally, I think they're huge. I would say a small rat, but not a medium. I'm afraid to feed her something that large so often. He seems to think there's nothing wrong with how I feed her. He's never said so in so many words, but I've explained what I do and he's never told me anything except give her larger prey.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun
    I can't try anything new now since mine looks like she's going into shed. I hope so; she never lost her eye caps from the last shed. I wanna see those beautiful baby blacks. -lol- But anyway, she's been eating medium rats because thats what the owner of my local specialty reptile store suggested she eat when I brought her in. Personally, I think they're huge. I would say a small rat, but not a medium. I'm afraid to feed her something that large so often. He seems to think there's nothing wrong with how I feed her. He's never said so in so many words, but I've explained what I do and he's never told me anything except give her larger prey.
    There is no benefit to feeding a larger prey item...and only downsides (poor feeding consistency, more off feed times, inconsistent growth, stress, internal pressure in dealing with the large meal). It is much easier on her to feed a smaller item (slightly smaller then her widest part)
    Sean

Thanks

I think I may stick with small rats then. a large mouse is a bit TOO small. I'm no expert, but thats what my gut tells me.