Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 984

1 members and 983 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,614
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99
    Thanks

Confused about heating...

OK, so my girlfriend and I are looking to get a ball python. We have a 48G glass tank (48" x 12" footprint) w/ a screen cover, Carefresh bedding, a water dish and a couple of caves. I want to get the heating set up and make sure the temps and humidity are correct before we even start shopping for our new pet. Therein lies the confusion. I have been doing as much research as I can but there seems to be many differing opinions on the proper way to heat the tank.

Some say to use just an UTH. Some say just a heat lamp. Yet others say to use both. Among the latter camp, some say to place both sources of heat at one end of the tank. Others say to have the UTH at one end and the heat lamp at the other. You can probably see where I am getting confused.

What would you suggest for heating this tank? What type of heat source and what wattage? Where would you place it? Is there anything else that I may be forgetting? Sorry for the noob questions and thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks

Re: Confused about heating...

If you use a uth make sure to use a thermostat (or you can get a cheap dimmer switch at Home Depot or Wal-mart....) they temps on a uth can rech dangerous levels with out a way of regualting them... so do that and make sure to have a temp gun to check the temps....As far as the screen top....you might need to tape the top (there is a sticky in here on how to set up a glass tank..) the screen lets all the humidity out...thus the tape.

Some awesome stickies are here to help you through it all...aswell as an amazing group of animal lovers! Hope you get everything worked out and a big pat on the back to you for doing your home work and getting everything PERFECT before you bring your new lil one home! Keep us posted

Also I dont know about the carefresh...never heard of it used for snakes *shrugs* I buy Harlams Aspen Bedding or sani-chips in bulk...use newspaper or paper towels when I run out...
    I rack my husbands balls & show my rack on Ball-Pythons.net
    ~I make girls with balls look good~

Qiksilver "
    yes, watch your children, I'll convert them to satanism..."

Thanks

It's not a noob question...it's good that you are asking before hand. ^_^

All I can say it set it up so you have 80-85 on one side and 90-95 on the other. Which ever combination of a heat lamp and UTH works to get you those temps. Personally I have a smaller Ceramic Heat Emitor on the cool side and a UTH on the warm side. I have seen moce than one way to do it. That is a fairly large tank and may be hard to heat. Also, since bps don't need daylighting, you may want to use a CHE instead of a heat lamp. Too much white light can stress out a bp (from what I understand).

If I have messed up on any of this someone step in and let me know. ^_^ The site has a very good care sheet...I'll find it for you in a sec if no one else has already done it.

Good luck with your new baby!!
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32800

That's the one I was tlaking about meant to post it in there ..oppss...
    there is also a bp caresheet
    I rack my husbands balls & show my rack on Ball-Pythons.net
    ~I make girls with balls look good~

Qiksilver "
    yes, watch your children, I'll convert them to satanism..."

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to go with a heat lamp w/ a CHE and an UTH since it is a fairly large tank. How much wattage will I want for each of these? And where can I get a thermostat from to control them?

Also, I went out to Walmart today to try and find a a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe as suggested in some of the threads I've read. They had no idea what I was talking about when I asked their employees. I did find a couple that might have worked but they were huge and looked nothing like the ones in pictures I've seen on this site. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm in Canada? Any suggestions or am I stuck buying one from the local pet store? Thanks.

Thanks

You said that you're using a 48 gallon tank? For a baby ball python, that's going to be way to big. he/she will feel really insecure, thus leading to stress. I'd put something to block 1/2 of the tank off until he reaches adulthood.
    -Kasi- 'Marsupial Mom' in training!
    0.1 Normal BP ~Isis~
    1.0 Graziani Pastel ~Apollo~
    0.1 Spider ~Savannah~
    1.0 Albino ~Ra~
    1.1 Lesser Platinum's ~Osiris~ ~Cleopatra~
    2.4 PastelXNormal babies
    0.1 RTB het Anery ~Camila~
    1.1 Bennet's wallabies ~ Boomer~~Bella~
    2.1 Red Kangaroo's ~Rocky, Jack, and Ruby~
    1.0 Serval ~Keyba~

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thegrandpoohbah
    Thanks for the replies. I've decided to go with a heat lamp w/ a CHE and an UTH since it is a fairly large tank. How much wattage will I want for each of these? And where can I get a thermostat from to control them?

Also, I went out to Walmart today to try and find a a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe as suggested in some of the threads I've read. They had no idea what I was talking about when I asked their employees. I did find a couple that might have worked but they were huge and looked nothing like the ones in pictures I've seen on this site. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm in Canada? Any suggestions or am I stuck buying one from the local pet store? Thanks.
    Heat lamp wattage will depend upon the temperatures in your home - you'll have to "play" with that. I've never used a CHE, in fact prefer not to use overhead heating, because I find it dries out the enclosure too much.

As for UTH and thermostat to control it, I'd suggest buying from http://www.reptilebasics.com - get at least a 1' section of 11" flexwatt, the connectors and ask him to pre-wire it for you and for your purposes, a wired Ranco would do well for you.

Here's a picture of the thermometer you're looking for at Walmart:

I've found it in the hardware section of my Walmart with the other indoor/outdoor thermometers.

Kasi is correct, the size enclosure you have is more appropriate for an adult ball python. Too much space will stress out a baby ball python causing them not to eat as one sign of stress - which will in turn, stress you out.

I suggest if you do get a baby, to consider giving them a good head start with either a 10 gallon tank or a 15 quart tub like this:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect9
    You said that you're using a 48 gallon tank? For a baby ball python, that's going to be way to big. he/she will feel really insecure, thus leading to stress. I'd put something to block 1/2 of the tank off until he reaches adulthood.
    Thanks for the tip. We may not be getting a baby though. We would rather rescue one from an animal shelter if possible so we wanted a tank that could house an adult right from the get go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    I've found it in the hardware section of my Walmart with the other indoor/outdoor thermometers.
    Thats exactly where they are. They run about 12 bucks plus tax.(american) I used to work at walmart, and they are all set up the same.
    ~Weena
    3.1 Leopard Geckos ~ Ralph,Karl,Harshad and Lizzy
    RIP~ Whitey
    1 Albino Pacman Frog ~ Artimus
    2.0 Cornsnakes~ FS and Cinno-mon
    1.1 Balls~Donut and Star

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thegrandpoohbah
    Thanks for the tip. We may not be getting a baby though. We would rather rescue one from an animal shelter if possible so we wanted a tank that could house an adult right from the get go.
    ah ok. If you do plan on adopting any snake from a shelter, be prepaired for any special or medical attention it might need. The most common thing would be mites/ticks, but I would imagine that any respectible shelter would have quarantined their animals and treated them for things like that. It would definately be a good idea to take him straight to a herp vet after you adopt him/her to make sure they're in good health. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.
    -Kasi- 'Marsupial Mom' in training!
    0.1 Normal BP ~Isis~
    1.0 Graziani Pastel ~Apollo~
    0.1 Spider ~Savannah~
    1.0 Albino ~Ra~
    1.1 Lesser Platinum's ~Osiris~ ~Cleopatra~
    2.4 PastelXNormal babies
    0.1 RTB het Anery ~Camila~
    1.1 Bennet's wallabies ~ Boomer~~Bella~
    2.1 Red Kangaroo's ~Rocky, Jack, and Ruby~
    1.0 Serval ~Keyba~