Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,405

2 members and 2,403 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,767
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11

Thread: Cooling

Thanks

Cooling

How would I go about cooling a rack that houses a 1600g female who isn't ready, but the other 2 females(2015g and 2575g respectively) are? I really don't want to cool her as she's not been too good of an eater as of late(while everyone else around her is slamming their mice into the wall when they strike). She's one of those long and thin girls, who take longer to get up to a proper size... Stinkpot snake.

I am building another rack, but I don't think Ms. Amani is going to fit comfortably in a sterilite 1756 32qt tub(she may, I just might not like it, haha). I also have an 1120 '05 female in the same rack, but I plan on moving her into the 2nd rack since she's smaller.

So what to do with Amani? Put her in the juvi rack for a few months until the rack is back to normal temps? I only have 2 cords coming out of that rack, one for the hot side flexwatt panels and one for the cool side panels, so I can't do anything individually(would have been smarter, but having 2 cords was cleaner).

I'm sure the easy answer is: Move her...
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Re: Cooling

I'd think moving her is the best solution. Being a bit cramped isn't going to hurt her (heck she might even like it!) So a couple months should work just fine.

No 'elbow' room would have to be worse than than the cooler temps.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Becky,
    Just a thought. I do cool my snakes for breeding season, however, I do know of quite a few breeders, some larger ones included, that do not cool their snakes at all. If it is too much hassle this year to cool them, try breeding without cooling them.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

I would just cool her with the others. All of my females actually feed better while being cooled than when they are at the normal temps. Before I started cooling this year a lot of my females would only eat once or twice a month. After I started cooling every single female I own is eating weekly.
    John Vandegrift

Thanks

Nah Tim, it's not too much hassle to cool them, I just need to get off my bum and build that second rack

It might do her good to cool her this season, so we'll see. She's not an easily stressed snake, and is usually stretched out across her tub with maybe her butt in the hide. Maybe the mice need to be served on crystal?

The 2015g female is still pounding down the food like no tomorrow, and in fact hasn't ever missed a meal since I got her.

I'll set the tstat to drop a bit tonight on the cool side and go from there! Thanks for the comments
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite