Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,374

1 members and 2,373 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,768
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question how can you tell

when the female is developing follicles???

Thanks

Re: how can you tell

She's crabby and demands chocolate.

Other than that, I really don't know signs. I recently watched one of mine get palpated for follicles(she had about 15 or so). You can also ultrasound them and see what size the follicles are at(optimum breeding time).
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Feel them....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festae
    Feel them....
    My fingers must have no feelings left in them then as i have never felt eggs nor follicles .I wait until i discover the female wrapped around some eggs
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    My fingers must have no feelings left in them then as i have never felt eggs nor follicles .I wait until i discover the female wrapped around some eggs
    I guess that works too LOL They are easy to feel though if you want to. Im a freak like that, I want to know exactly whats going on at all times, I dont like surprises......Unless of course its an odds-smashing clutch, kind of surprise those will always be welcome here

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

"She's crabby and demands chocolate."

rotfwl

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    I could definately tell when my female was gravid last year and when the eggs started moving closer to the end of her tail... looked like she was going to burst. She was a small girl though.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festae
    They are easy to feel though if you want to. Im a freak like that, I want to know exactly whats going on at all times, I dont like surprises.
    ROCK ON Brother! The ability to successfully and reliably palpate female ball pythons is the single most beneficial skill a breeder can (and in my opinion must) develop in order to breed with maximum efficiency. Fully developed follicles are extremely easy to feel ... they are like extra large marbles inside of your female ... and an indicator that ovulation is right around the corner.

Smaller peas sized follicles let you know that your female is receptive to the males breedings and ready to eventually lay eggs, but needs more time with the male to get r done.

Tracking the development of the follicles over the course of your breeding season helps you keep track of who is going to go, who needs some extra helps, and when you can rest your males to avoid burning them out.

For the average hobbyist breeder, it's not as important ... for small collections and people just breeding for fun, it's exciting to just be surprised by finding a clutch of eggs one day ... but for people breeding as an investment, it makes the difference between skillfully being "in tune" with your animals and just "praying" that you'll "get lucky".

Palpate, palpate, palpate!!!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

wow, thanks adam!!!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    ROCK ON Brother! The ability to successfully and reliably palpate female ball pythons is the single most beneficial skill a breeder can (and in my opinion must) develop in order to breed with maximum efficiency. Fully developed follicles are extremely easy to feel ... they are like extra large marbles inside of your female ... and an indicator that ovulation is right around the corner.

Smaller peas sized follicles let you know that your female is receptive to the males breedings and ready to eventually lay eggs, but needs more time with the male to get r done.

Tracking the development of the follicles over the course of your breeding season helps you keep track of who is going to go, who needs some extra helps, and when you can rest your males to avoid burning them out.

For the average hobbyist breeder, it's not as important ... for small collections and people just breeding for fun, it's exciting to just be surprised by finding a clutch of eggs one day ... but for people breeding as an investment, it makes the difference between skillfully being "in tune" with your animals and just "praying" that you'll "get lucky".

Palpate, palpate, palpate!!!

-adam
    And once you get good at it you can tell if there are any slugs! I did that last year..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast