Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,146

3 members and 2,143 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11

Thread: quick question

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

quick question

ok, how much weight loss is exceptable in a male durring breeding ?

i was cleaning cages and all that fun stuff tonight and my male had a b/m so i desided to get an empty weight on him and seems he has lost 120 grams sence i started breeding him to my female.

now he is just under 600 grams (now @ 580gr.) and i am worried with him being a weak eater and all if i contuniue to breed him it will stress him out to much.

any advise?

Thanks

Re: quick question

I have had males go off of food for 6-8 months and lose upto 50g. I'd get to the vet if I were you. Not saying anything is wrong yet But 120g loose is alot for a small male..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    now he is just under 600 grams (now @ 580gr.) and i am worried with him being a weak eater and all if i contuniue to breed him it will stress him out to much.

any advise?
    ...I think you answered your own question...

Go with your gut instinct. Its really hard to give that kind of advice online except in a very general way. If you think he's not ready, then give him a rest.
    -Brad

Thanks

I am far from an expert, but I would not breed him again until I got a meal in him. I would at least give him a few weeks off. How many females was he breeding? How are you cycling him through the females? Are you sure he was not full of food for your initial weight? He could have lost some of the weight just because now he is totally empty.
    John Vandegrift

Thanks
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

My snake has had a 100g bm...and she was just 700g at the time herself...so she dropped to 600g with just one bm. That said...I would still err on the side of caution and not continue breeding until I was sure the male was healthy and hale.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Is there anyway you could have weighted him with a full belly before? If so now he's empty you're getting his true weight. Just a thought

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

well to start answering the questions ...

i dont think he was full when i got his pre breeding weight, but he has always been my little pain (the one to nake ya wanna pull your hair out)... weak eater, goes off feed ect...

i am only breeding him to one female. i have had them together a total of 3 times now with a lock each time lasting up to 18 hrs. (10.29.06,11.14.06 and 11.25.06) with lots of rest and meals between.

i will just give up on the idea of breeding for the yr. his health is more inprtant to me.

*wishful thinking now*
    maybe the snake gods will be with me and one of those locks may have took

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    well to start answering the questions ...

i dont think he was full when i got his pre breeding weight, but he has always been my little pain (the one to nake ya wanna pull your hair out)... weak eater, goes off feed ect...

i am only breeding him to one female. i have had them together a total of 3 times now with a lock each time lasting up to 18 hrs. (10.29.06,11.14.06 and 11.25.06) with lots of rest and meals between.

i will just give up on the idea of breeding for the yr. his health is more inprtant to me.

*wishful thinking now*
    maybe the snake gods will be with me and one of those locks may have took
    If he is still eating I would not give up on breeding for the year. Just get a few more meals in him. With only breeding one female and with him still eating I would not worry about his health at this point. Just continue to monitor his weight
    John Vandegrift