Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,409

2 members and 2,407 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11

Thread: Late Breeding

Thanks

Late Breeding

As some of you may know, I just recently aquired a breeding size male Pastel. I have not introduced him to my female as I want him to go through proper quarantine first. My question is, what are the chances they will still breed 3 months from now if I then introduce them, or should I just wait until next season?
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

Re: Late Breeding

Some people breed all year round so I'd say the chances are good.

Thanks

It depends almost completely on the female. If her follicles have already developed to a good size, you may very well miss the window of opportunity for successful fertilization (either she will slug out, or resorb the follicles before you can introduce the male). If you haven't started to cool her, she likely will not put a lot if energy toward follicular development just yet, but you never know until you feel them (or see them if you have ultrasound). Best of luck with them this season.

-Evan

Thanks

Thanks Evan. I haven't purposely cooled her, but before I got my space heater a couple months ago, I'm sure temps in the room that she is in did drop some. Would her eating habits give me any hints about if her follicles have started developing?
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders

Thanks

Eating habits don't tell a whole lot about follicular development, some girls even have a much stronger feeding response during this time, possibly to help put on a little extra weight to get them through a clutch of eggs and a potentially long fast. Other behaviors can help you to determine if a female is putting energy toward follicular development though. If she is laying cool most of the time (even after eating sometimes) then she is likely developing. Some girls also get a little fiesty during this time, so if your normally docile female starts hissing and/or striking at you for no apparent reason, that could be why. Temps are only one of the cues that determines when a female starts to develop. Others include male contact, and light cycles. Those breeders that breed all year round don't really cycle at all, and rely on ultrasound to watch follicular development (the follicles are too small to palpate at the point where males should be breeding them for the highest fertility rate). When they are the right size they introduce the male. It is still pretty early in the season, so you have a good chance if you start cooling about a month before your male is out of quarantine. Keep us updated on your pair throughout the season!

-Evan

Thanks

+1 for you Evan. some great info. I needed that info too.

Thanks

Thanks a ton Evan. She's definately not ever laying on her cool side yet... she loves that UTH. I never see her anywhere else. She doesn't even use her hide for some reason, even though it's at the warm end. She has been eating a ton, but that started as soon as her eggs hatched in September. No ultrasound here, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. Don't worry, there'll be updates.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders