Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,454

1 members and 2,453 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,767
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
    Thanks

Male stuck on only one mouse at a time

My male coral glow, who is a little over 600g and about 8 months old has gotten stuck on only eating one mouse at a time and will not touch a rat anymore. Back in March when I got my female pastel he went off eating for about 6 weeks. I'm assuming due to the time of year at his age and introducing a new female to the rack. Before he went off eating he ate great. He went straight from live mice, to frozen thawed and a couple mice at a time, to f/t rats. And was aggressive. When I got him to eat again about a month ago, he will only eat one mouse at a time and won't even sniff a rat. So I've been feeding him a couple of times a week one mouse at a time until my bag of mice runs out. Plus right now I have just enough rats for the girls that are eating them well until I get to the St Louis reptile expo next month to restock. Then I'll work on swapping him over to rats. So any tips for either getting him to eat more or swap back to rats.

Kyle

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: Male stuck on only one mouse at a time

There are all kinds of stuff you can try on here. Just do a search. I have had the best luck with thawing a rat with a mouse. You can get him going with the mouse then do a bait and switch with the mouse flavored rat. No matter the technique, tough love is required. Not feeding for awhile then offering a couple days after a shed.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,981 Times in 5,584 Posts
    why not just feed him mice if thats what he likes? at his age and size, one mouse a week is plenty healthy, hes definitely not starving. my adult male who has sired many clutches is only 700-800g and a couple years old. If hes happy with mice, i would just feed him that, no need to get him back on rats. Hes eating f/t so that makes it easy, f/t mice are often cheaper than rats.
    1.0 normal bp

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

BeelzeBall. (05-10-2016),Rob (05-10-2016)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    If he is eating, let him eat.
    If you want to try to get him to switch then don't offer anything for a week or two.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    why not just feed him mice if thats what he likes? at his age and size, one mouse a week is plenty healthy, hes definitely not starving. my adult male who has sired many clutches is only 700-800g and a couple years old. If hes happy with mice, i would just feed him that, no need to get him back on rats. Hes eating f/t so that makes it easy, f/t mice are often cheaper than rats.
    ^^^^^

Thanks

Last night I decided to try a rat again, just to see what would happen. He actually took it. If he didn't take this one I was going to let him have his mice. But since he'll take rats again, why not let him be fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kroberts10 View Post
    Last night I decided to try a rat again, just to see what would happen. He actually took it. If he didn't take this one I was going to let him have his mice. But since he'll take rats again, why not let him be fat.

Good deal. Did you do any magic or just offer him the rat?

Thanks

I ended up scenting the tub with some gerbil bedding about 15 minutes before introducing the rat. After thawing the rat I heated it up in a little baggy of gerbil bedding, then I walked the rat up to him using tongs. He took it very quickly, then sniffed around for a bit before downing it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kroberts10 View Post
    I ended up scenting the tub with some gerbil bedding about 15 minutes before introducing the rat. After thawing the rat I heated it up in a little baggy of gerbil bedding, then I walked the rat up to him using tongs. He took it very quickly, then sniffed around for a bit before downing it

Good to hear, good luck on the next feeding!